Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Well, I brought my new 2009 LX Element home, and the next night someone broke into 2 of our other cars while in the driveway (ok, my wife left them unlocked) and stole a gps and stuff. The Element was locked and there was nothing in there anyway.

But the whole incident got me thinking about what if they wanted to steal the element. How effective is the engine immobilizer? Does it prevent hot wiring the car, etc? Or have thieves figured how to get around it?

Do I need to install and alarm?

Keith

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well to answer your question, it all depends on method of operation used by said car thief. Actually you do not have much to worry about. That is as long as the keys are not in it. There are four main types of vehicle thefts recognized by most law enforcement. They are transportation, juvenile, professional, and amateur. If you look at the stats you will see mostly older model cars are still the ones stolen. The reason is that most auto thefts are done to use the car for short period of time, either as temporary transportation or to commit another crime and then dump or torch. Here are the most stolen cars of 2006
1 1995 Honda Civic
2. 1991 Honda Accord
3. 1989 Toyota Camry
4. 1997 Ford F150 Series
5. 2005 Dodge Ram P/UP
6. 1994 Chevy 1500 P/UP
7. 1994 Nissan Sentra
8. 1994 Dodge Caravan
9. 1994 Saturn SL
10.1990 Acura Integra

Most pros will not target the element. They go after the big pay offs. Usually by using a flat bed truck to load and go. Hot wiring is a dying art and becoming way to difficult for the amateur thug car thief because of security features like the immobilizer. So with all that said you do not have to worry much about your element being stolen form your driveway ( not saying that it can not happen ) You should be more worried about items left in the car in plain view or getting car jacked in a bad neighborhood. :) As far as the car jacking goes…. I know a system for that. Google the Taurus “Judge”

Georgia Deputy Sheriff

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
As posted, the immobilizer works. Without the key, and the coded chip embedded in it , the vehicle is actually "missing" part of its ignition system, and cannot be started. Only E thefts I've ever heard of were when a valet key was left in the glove box, a thief looking for CDs or GPS, found it and took the E for a joyride; and when someone at a Dealership was running a car theft ring, kept one of the three keys - telling the purchaser it only came with two, then with address in hand from the sales info, went to their house one night, and drove off with the E.

Much more likely: break-in, if the thief expects there are goodies inside, or someone taking sawzall to the exhaust system, to make off with the catalytic converter.

·
12,179 Posts
Chances are if your wife had locked the other two cars the thieves would have just tried the doors and moved on. I left my Accord open one night and lost my i-pod from the center console. I had about a thousand dollars worth of hand tools in the back of the E...but it was locked and nothing went missing.

The most effective thing you can do is not leave anything valuable in plain site(Window and dash mounted GPS docks are an easy give away to what may be inside) and keep the doors locked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts