Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shopping and test drove 2 Es, but I haven't tried to completely remove the rear seats. I probably would generally drive my Element with the rear seats out.

How big a deal is it to take them out completely? One review I read said it was a real PITA. Another said it was simple. Anyone actually done it?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
My husband and I removed them for our raod trip home to Chicago for Easter....and I will say this....it isn't the easiest thing I have ever done, but it wasn't a major task either.

First of all read the instructions....then read them again.....and if possible have someone help you....not to say that you can't do it yourself, but the first few times it helps to have that extra set of hands.

The seats aren't heavy (I can lift and hang them with ease now that I am used to them).....but they are a bit awkward to remove.

You do get the hang of it .....it is just a strange motion to lift them up and forward....also keep in mind I am a 5'5 female....I am not sure if they are easier to remove if you are taller, stronger, etc.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's really not that bad. I had the salesman do it for me in the showroom while the paperwork was being processed. He took a seat out and let me try to do it also. A little tricky a first, but after you do it, it was a piece of cake. I however do suggest that you have the saleman show you instead of reading the directions. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
yeah, it is certainly a bit on the awkward side and no where near as easy as flipping the seats up, but after the second or third time, it's no big deal.

shawn

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Next time I'm at the dealer I'll have them show me.

Taking the bench seats in/out of my Safari is a bear! They must weigh at least 80 lbs!

·
Registered
80 Posts
After you do it a few times its easy. Of course, that also depends on how strong you are. I wil say that its a much easier process that it was in our minivan.

·
EOC Staff
659 Posts
I read your post at 1am and thought hey ive never tried it or been shown how either so why not try it and post the results. I backed the E into the garage and opened it up and gave it a shot. I made 2 attempts to see if having experience helped and here is what I found.

1st try:
First thing I did was try it myself with no knowledge of how to do it. I took off the panel, layed the seat back and pulled the lever. Guess what the seat wouldnt come out. So I get the old trusty owners manual out and read it. I then tried it again pulling up and towards the rear of the car. And it came out. It wasnt the easiest removal but it wasnt bad.

2nd try:
after about 10 minutes of fooling in the garage I decided to try again and found the second time was MUCH easier. It is all technique and I found the seats to be easy to manage. One thing that I did find that made it MUCH MUCH easier to remove and install the seats was to flip the one up on the opposite side.

Final thoughts:
Its not that bad of a task after all. The first or second time you do it you may think it is but once you get it down you could take them out in very little time. The seats arent heavy at all in comparison to other removeable seats I have seen.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's definitely easier than taking out a bench type seat! The salesman had the seat apart and out on a couple of minutes! I'm sure glad that I had him show me first and let me also do it or I would probably still be trying to get them out. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BriBoy thx for running the drill at 1 am! Thx BlackE and Cincy for your input.

Sounds like it's fairly easy once you get the knack.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Music School in a Box

Thanks to this forum, my son managed to pull the rear seats out of my Element in no time.
We have started a non-profit music school to teach music for free to children (and adults) who cannot pay. We take the school to them to eliminate all barriers. We are now teaching 200 students and go out 7 days a week.
This is what we put in my Element.
(The guitar teacher on top of the pile sort of counts--since someone has to drive!)
Here's how it looks when 'tetris-ed':
And check out the smiles that result.
I love my Element for what it makes possible!

·
Registered
517 Posts
not hard at all!!!! takes me literally 30 seconds per seat. they are not heavy either, you could press them over your head if your the average joe

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
its real simple. one of my back seats has been out since june. i just looked at the quick start guide my salesman gave me when i bought my car, it breaks it down real simple. i havent tried putting them back in yet but it cant be too hard.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
One tip.....don't lay the seat flat....it's a whole lot easier with the seat back up and it gives you something to grab.

·
Registered
8 Posts
its real simple. one of my back seats has been out since june. i just looked at the quick start guide my salesman gave me when i bought my car, it breaks it down real simple. i havent tried putting them back in yet but it cant be too hard.
It's even easier than removing it. Two seconds, tops :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts