Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking hard at getting a new HU and want one with a monitor so I can hook up a backup camera. I was going to buy from Best Buy (because I have a couple hundred dollars in gift cards) but they do not have a unit with a removable front. I know this is the most sensitive part, and have read elsewhere that it is recommended to get a removable one because of the temperature changes during the year, but it is hard to tell how important this is. I sure don't want to have issues later, and would rather spend more money up front so that I don't have problems later on.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
removable face is only for security reasons. all the main components in a radio that can go bad due to temp changes are in the radio chassis, especially one with a screen. if you arent worried about theft then dont bother with the removable face on a screen. 99% of the people that we have installed for NEVER take them off and half of those that do lose or damage them while they are off.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I took mine off the first week I had it and haven't since. So for me it's not a feature I'd look for or base a buying decision on. I kinda wish it wasn't a removeable face because I've had connection issues. Mine also drops down to reveal the SD card slot. Now only if Clarion would release a firmware update so I could use SDHC cards > 2mb.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I have the JVC AVX810 DVD receiver which has a detachable face and since the E's dash is so high up and the unit can be quite visible,I really like the option of being able to remove it. If not drawing unwanted attention to your head unit is important to you,then I would suggest a unit that has the detachable face feature.:cool:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If security is an issue, and you (like me) always forget to take off the removable face plate anyway - there are units that when off, automaticly flip a blank cover or a blank screen on the head unit, making it look like nothing is installed. Do a search for Cameleon head units. JVC makes several models called their El Kameleon anti-theft sereis.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts