Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to search for this but was not successful.

I am certain the Element is not going to be as good as a Lexus or MB on the highway but how is it really?

A short test drive does not really tell me how it would be on - say - a trip from Michigan to Colorado or more? Is it REASONABLY quiet and smooth? Does it seem relaxed or strained? What kinf of real mileage does it get at around 75 mph.

Thanks for any real world experiences.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm very happy with the ride and handling on the E way. It does get pushed around a little in the wind and it is a totally different feel than my last vehicle which was a Lincoln MKZ. It is a little louder and rougher than the Lincoln but just as much fun to drive imo. Keep in mind comparing the E to a luxury sedan is apples to oranges. I don't usually drive much more than 5 over posted speeds just to keep the tickets to a minimum but the other day I did have the E over 90 and was amazed at how stable it was. Granted there was no cross wind at the time. The wind does make a difference that was hardly noticable in the Lincoln. Mileage wise I'm getting 21.5 in the city/hwy normal commute. I love my E more and more everytime I drive it. I've had a lot more expensive cars in the past but none were as much fun as I'm having with the E.

Hope that helps a little

·
Registered
216 Posts
As far as road noise goes, I guess it depends on your expectations.

I find the road noise in my Element a bit high. Its one of the only flaws in an otherwise great car.

I came from a Toyota Previa, which subjectively was much quieter.

Not a deal-breaker, but on some road surfaces it does kinda drone. We usually just turn up the radio/podcast a bit and that masks it.

Our new set of Kumhos seem marginally quieter than the Hankooks they replaced.

That said, we've been on a lot of long road trips and love the Element. 87,000 miles and headed to Owl's Head, Maine tomorrow!

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I wouldn't want to road trip in anything but an Element.:)

I've never had a luxury vehicle so I can't complain, and the minivan I had prior was just as windblown if not more than E, so I can't complain there either, it's all about what your used to.

It's roomy, fun, easy to clean. I was loaded down to the max on my trip to Ohio and back last summer, and made easily upper 20's on the trip, my best was 29mph.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just the information I was looking for

It does help. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I do not expect a Lincoln smooth ride but just wanted to make sure I wouldn't feel all beat up after driving a few thousand miles.

I'm retiring and don't need 2 or 3 cars anymore and it seems like the Element would do a good job for us. Utilitarian to haul things, awd for snowy Michigan winters, easy to get in and out of for aging backs and plenty of room plus Honda reliability (I've had a couple Accords and a Civic).

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
831 Posts
I came out of an f150.The road noise was about the same. I have only made one long road trip about 800 miles. I was very comfortable. A strong cross wind will get your attention. But then it is not an aerodynamic vehicle. It will be a notable difference from a Lincoln.
I will second what Jojo said. I would not want another car for all around use and / or travel.

·
Registered
575 Posts
It does help. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I do not expect a Lincoln smooth ride but just wanted to make sure I wouldn't feel all beat up after driving a few thousand miles.

I'm retiring and don't need 2 or 3 cars anymore and it seems like the Element would do a good job for us. Utilitarian to haul things, awd for snowy Michigan winters, easy to get in and out of for aging backs and plenty of room plus Honda reliability (I've had a couple Accords and a Civic).

Thanks for the reply
Sounds like your are on the right track with the E.

When I bought mine I did so because it is 1. a great all around utility vehicle 2. a great value (quality vs cost) in the current economy 3. all around fun to own

Good luck with your E purchase you won't be sorry!

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,530 Posts
....I'm retiring and don't need 2 or 3 cars anymore and it seems like the Element would do a good job for us. Utilitarian to haul things, awd for snowy Michigan winters, easy to get in and out of for aging backs and plenty of room plus Honda reliability
I retired from the military a year and a half ago and took our E (with 1500# trailer) across the US and then some (GA to AK, about 6300 miles total). I have mild arthritis in my lower back and, even after driving for 8-10 hours, I NEVER got out with any back problems or woke up the next day hardly able to move. VERY comfortable seats and a very comfortable highway cruiser. Your "list" above is also why we went with our E, it does all those and then some. I'm sure you won't regret your choice, I know we don't... :):razz::razz:

Oh, BTW, welcome to the club, glad you found us..... :cool:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
We love our E for road trips. The extra space around the seats really makes you feel like you are in a larger van/suv/car. It is a louder than most cars but then again it is an SUV with no carpet. I do miss our Saab 9-5 wagon for road trips but don't miss the reliability issues. I have really slowed down in driving speed in my age and the E really helps with that. I generally go 5-10 mph over posted but the E can do more if need be.

Ask your dealer for an extended test drive so you can get a better feel for the highway with it. Purchasing a car is big so make sure you know what you are getting. The E is not for everyone but those that buy them, love them.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Compared to my previous Toyota Tacoma and my wifes Camry- I actually find the E just as quite. Ride is compareable to the Tacoma and stiffer than the Camry. Its not a car so the stiffer ride should be expected. Short wheelbase so you will feel bumps. Handling is surprisingly -very good. As stated on here many times over- the E is just hands down a fun to drive vehicle, every time you drive it.:D:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
long trips are great

I would agree that riding in the E long distances is fantastic. Our daughter attends college in VA Beach/ Norfolk area, (Virgina Wesleyan College), and make that trip many times a year. Just moved her back home for the summer, had the E loaded, and the trip was great, even driving back through all those storms was not an issue.

I use a rolled up throw-blanket tucked between the headrest and neck and the comfort is even better. I am 6'3" and the headrests are just a shade off. SO by tucking the blanket in between gives great support. No issues with sore, tired legs, wife can sleep comfortably with the seat slightly reclined.

MPG for the trip at highway, or HIGHER speeds averaged 26.5.

Just found a Valley Hitch Carrier on craigslist for half price, finished adding the Yakima system, can't wait to take it out camping this summer.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Trip to Vancouver

I was doing 125kph most of the time and going to Vancouver is uphill most of the time and I was just amazed of how the cruiser works. Just glad to have my BISDAK.

·
Registered
39 Posts
my wife drove it from Pensacola to Tucson in two days and our E was packed to the gills. no problems whatsoever. well she did get blown around a little bit in El Paso but anything would in those winds. Great vehicle:)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I like it on the big roads

I tried to search for this but was not successful.

I am certain the Element is not going to be as good as a Lexus or MB on the highway but how is it really?

A short test drive does not really tell me how it would be on - say - a trip from Michigan to Colorado or more? Is it REASONABLY quiet and smooth? Does it seem relaxed or strained? What kinf of real mileage does it get at around 75 mph.

Thanks for any real world experiences.
I drove Chicago to Toronto in a 06 AWD and Ft Lauderdale to Toronto in my 06 FWD ( 23 hrs straight through ) They are lighter than the MB and better on fuel , I was not uncomfortable in the driving position even though the seats are firmer than a family van , for the average excursion ( 8 hrs ) a day like my parents do , it is an enjoyable drive , slightly higher than an automobile ( better visibility ) if you want luxuries ( leather seating with rear end warmers and gobs of sound insulation ) go higher end , but all costs go up with it , insurance , fuel and capital expenditures / maintenance.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Cali driving, I'm impressed since I heard about the aerodynamics of the car is what's keeping us from getting better mpg. I usually do around 80 mph ev3ry day because of my lead foot and it's very stable.

·
Registered
96 Posts
im just scared when i hear the side windows shake when i have them open :confused:
besides that i drive all the time from tulsa to OKC an dto Dallas

·
Registered
205 Posts
im just scared when i hear the side windows shake when i have them open :confused:
I forgot to mention usually have my windows up and the air condition on. Maybe that's why it feels stable, i could see how keeping the windows open could make it a bit unstable. I have noticed that the aerodynamics of the car, with the window down create a huge wind tunnel-like vaccum throughout the car. More than any other car i've been in so far, sooo maybe windows down at 80+ miles might be crazy, time to find out. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I actually can answer this one!

I love taking this thing on the highway. I drive 4 hours on the weekends, all highway. Compared to the legacy I have it is an extremely COMFORTABLE ride. You can go very long distances without getting winded. I've driven it 5 hours straight before and only needed to take one pit stop. I even opted to drive about town when we got there. It is a little noisy when you are on anything less than smooth, but there is virtually no engine noise when you're under 3.2k RPM. I usually have music going anyway, which masks well even at low levels because of the way the acoustics are setup in the car.

To be completely straight, if you lined up 1,000 cars, I might choose another car to have, but nothing would come before the element if I was choosing a road trip vehicle.

·
Registered
188 Posts
opening the side windows is like a plane dropping the flaps for landing , they slow you down ... ;-) it helps get the smell of damp dog out of the E though ...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts