Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the wife and I are planning to make babies. She is hinting at wanting a Honda Odyssey which does not appeal to me. I currently have the back seats out. I want to know how the back seats work for mounting baby car seats. Also want to know if A/C gets back there as I have never ridden back there. I would appreciate any other points from fathers who have used the E to transport children, extra.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
986 Posts
For baby seats and children up to about 12 years old the rear seats should work out OK. It does get a little uncomfortable back there for adults on a long trip though.

Some owners don't like the rear hinged back doors, especially the early Elements with the front seat belts attached to them. I just considered that part of the nature of the beast!

The A/C will perform well. If it didn't, I'm quite sure my 20 year old son would have complained about that by now! :)

Here's an interesting thread on this subject:

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,491 Posts
One of the wonderful things (and a drawback, as well) is the two full-sized rear seats (READ: they fit a car seat with NO ISSUE). They're easy to put in, easy to take out (when you get to that point). The drawback is access (vs. a minivan) - not the easiest to get in/out of because of the high rear floor, but, neither is a minivan. You do not have a sliding side door, but the rear "door" makes access a breeze, so getting the kids out is not a real issue. The A/C easily gets into the back seat area (as does the heat) through vents under the front seats. Never had a complaint from those sitting back there for either. Hope this helps!! :)

Reactions: AWD and te1966

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the wonderful things (and a drawback, as well) is the two full-sized rear seats (READ: they fit a car seat with NO ISSUE). They're easy to put in, easy to take out (when you get to that point). The drawback is access (vs. a minivan) - not the easiest to get in/out of because of the high rear floor, but, neither is a minivan. You do not have a sliding side door, but the rear "door" makes access a breeze, so getting the kids out is not a real issue. The A/C easily gets into the back seat area (as does the heat) through vents under the front seats. Never had a complaint from those sitting back there for either. Hope this helps!! :)
Thanks guys for the quick reply's. That is a relief about the A/C and child car seats. I was wondering about the height issue for kids. I guess I could help lift them up or they could crawl in? My E is stock height with some big Michelin tires. Should I consider the side steps? They have never really appealed to me before, but it looks like there are a lot of aftermarket options in black.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
986 Posts
Thanks guys for the quick reply's. That is a relief about the A/C and child car seats. I was wondering about the height issue for kids. I guess I could help lift them up or they could crawl in? My E is stock height with some big Michelin tires. Should I consider the side steps? They have never really appealed to me before, but it looks like there are a lot of aftermarket options in black.
Side steps are something that you have plenty of time to consider; if indeed you are still just in the planning stages of having babies!

You're at least 2 years or more away from having a toddler who wants to try to find their way into the car themselves. And, well, some kids are better climbers than others!

So, wait and see! :)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
The only negative experience I can claim with a baby and a backseat is access when the doors are open in a parking lot with someone parked beside you. I usually park in no man's land to keep dings off my car, but when you can't and you gotta load/unload the kids with someone beside you it can be aggravating.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only negative experience I can claim with a baby and a backseat is access when the doors are open in a parking lot with someone parked beside you. I usually park in no man's land to keep dings off my car, but when you can't and you gotta load/unload the kids with someone beside you it can be aggravating.
Yeah, I have experienced that when loading up with groceries. Thanks Te1966, I guess I do have time to wait and see with the side steps. So glad I am not the only one who parks in 'no man's land'. My wife continues to give me the side eye about 'parking so far away'. I get so paranoid if I ever have to park between two cars in a tight spot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am new to E. I have a 2.5 year old, and I must say, I am amazed with the car.

You shouldnt have any problems.
ISOFIX does its work just as intended.

If you plan on adding 2 baby seats on the rear seats, forget being behind with the kids, because there wont be enough space for 2 baby seats + an adult. Tested this 2 days ago. (Not sure how many cars allow this, though)

Its a family friendly car.

Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I found that when my daughter was in a rear facing childseat the access was terrible from the side door. Simply because the rear seat was so far back. I actually had to go in the opposite rear door and climb in with her in my arms to get her in the car seat. Its about 2 years old when they go foward facing. I transported her both at stock height and now lifted 2” and never needed sidesteps or anything but we’ll see what the future holds. My .02 is endure the 2ish years of back pain its worth it if you love your E, also its no problem once its foward facing. Good luck on the family!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts