Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New poster here.

I just picked up my new Element and am pondering getting the luggage rack. Seems like a great idea, donchathink?

Well, my question is this...

If we go camping, and I climb on a ladder and put all the stuff up there, like the tent and so forth, HOW do I get it down when we get to our destination?

I'm short (5ft 2in) and I never have been able to figure out how you get the stuff down when you "get there." Would someone le'me know how they do it? Do you take a ladder with you?

It sounds like a stupid question, I know but... I haven't figured it out.

Thanks in advance,
CopperPoppy

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm a little taller than you (5'6") so I generally can open the doors and stand on the sills and reach what I need. However, I have read that others take along a fold up step stool. Seems like the easiest thing to do. I have found that my roof rack with the addition of the Thule Playpen are indespensible when it comes to going on a long trip. Have room up there for the beach chairs and boogie board. Hope all works out for you.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have one of those gigantic roof boxes. We use it when we go away with the kids for extra storage. I had the same problem until I realized that we had plenty of extra room inside the E cargo area for a folding step stool something like this one...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote:23ca90f53d="pedsflightrn"]I'm a little taller than you (5'6") so I generally can open the doors and stand on the sills and reach what I need. However, I have read that others take along a fold up step stool.[/quote:23ca90f53d]

Hmmmmmmmm. I wonder if that would work. It would be nice if they had a step stool that was really high. I had to get on a ladder to wax the roof and was struggling to reach the middle.

I'll have to see what's available.

Thanks for your advice (and for not laughing at me, too).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote:7be6be873c="eMass"]I have one of those gigantic roof boxes. We use it when we go away with the kids for extra storage. I had the same problem until I realized that we had plenty of extra room inside the E cargo area for a folding step stool something like this one...[/quote:7be6be873c]

That's an idea. Thank you. Mind if I ask ... how tall are you and approximately how high is this step stool?

·
Registered
227 Posts
You can also open the hatch and tailgate, then close the hatch and stand on the open tailgate. I'm not sure if you will have good access to the rack area or not, might be an option.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'm 5' 8" and the step stool steps add plenty of height to get way up there, at least 18 to 24". I also get up on the tailgate for items towardss the back like firetruck points out, but I had forgotten that. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote:7f9c0f4b40="firetruck41"]You can also open the hatch and tailgate, then close the hatch and stand on the open tailgate. I'm not sure if you will have good access to the rack area or not, might be an option.[/quote:7f9c0f4b40]

GREAT IDEA!!!

You know, I could even put the step stool ON the tailgate, couldn't I?

·
Registered
504 Posts
If you live near a Costco, they've got a stepstool made of aluminum that is incredibly light. I use it clean and polish the roof of mine.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Last time I looked at orvis.com, they had some kind of step thingie that attached to the underside or hitch and swung out to provide a step. It was under the pets and transportation listings.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Another solution could possibly be to pack some of the things in the cargo area in milk crates, that way you could simply unpack the milk crates and then simply stack them together and WaaaaaLaaaah instant way to get to the roof. You would have to use real milk crates not the cheapy ones that you buy at the store in order to support the weight of an adult. I will be testing this out next weekend when we go camping. I think it will work just fine, we have already tried standing on them and it works just fine! I am 5'5 and this gives me more than enough height to reach the mountain bikes on the roof rack.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[quote:fd7107105d="StLouisPenguin"]I will be testing this out next weekend when we go camping. I think it will work just fine, ...[/quote:fd7107105d]

Please let me know how it works out for you, will you? I'll hold off buying the ladder until I hear how the milkcrates work out. :D

·
Registered
2,258 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
[quote:fbd55670f8="Sheniferous"]try a search on yahoo or google for "universal tire step"

they're steps that fold flat that attach to your tires...[/quote:fbd55670f8]

But aren't they noisy when you're driving?

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
[quote:7935a63b5e="Kayakin' Dan"][quote:7935a63b5e="Sheniferous"]try a search on yahoo or google for "universal tire step"

they're steps that fold flat that attach to your tires...[/quote:7935a63b5e]

But aren't they noisy when you're driving?[/quote:7935a63b5e]

if you're being sarcastic... :lol:

if you're serious... uh... well... uhm... when the car is motion, the steps would be stowed away, anywhere but on the tire... uh, yea.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hey! That "Tire Mounted Wheel Step" looks awesome! Would Probably make the washing and waxing easier too. Anyone actually own and/or use one of these? I'm wondering just how sturdy they really are...

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you have an EX, take out the moonroof, stand up through the moonroof opening and you can most likely reach items in your roof rack. I don't have a roof rack so I'm not sure but it seems that I could reach that far.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
if any of you have a Kragen's near you... they have the tire mounted step on sale for $19.99.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I haven't yet tried some of the things people have suggested but, I plan to. Don't have a Kragen's but, we do have a Costco. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts