Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I signed on the line Friday to get an SOP due at my dealer. Dealer has build dates of 4/23-4/27, and let me think that the car would be here soon after that. But now I'm wondering if that's realistic. What has been the experience of E-clubbers?

I turned down the offer to get one from another dealer (there were none withing 2-3 hours), because I like the idea of driving my new E virtually right off the truck. Now I'm wondering if I made a mistake. I don't want to wait forever.

So, what's a realistic expectation? Thanks!

·
Registered
894 Posts
The dates I have been given by my dealer are 4/23 for the build and 4/28 for the arrival at the dealership. Which means I whould be able to get on May 5th after coming back from Las Vegas from a company trip. It will all work out I have been assuring myself after a three-month wait.

Iskie

·
Registered
39 Posts
My dealer gave me a build date of April 15...and delivery "around the end of the month"....I'm in Florida and the dealer says two weeks is usual time after build date.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We signed on our E on March 15th and I just checked with our dealer this past friday (April 11th), he said it would be approx. two more weeks. I'm not holding my breath, because he said it was just being manufactured. I expect to wait three weeks. *shrug*

The waitings a killer, seriously! However, I really want to buy from our local dealership since I'll be dealing with them in the future no doubt. And....I'm set on a SOP, the black and silvers on the lot really dont trip my trigger. ;)

Hope this helped.

Angie :D

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hope mine's like yours!! I'm getting more impatient each day!

·
Registered
49 Posts
My dealer gave me a build date of April 1 - 4 and it was available for pickup April 9. However, I am in Michigan which is only one state away from Ohio where they are built.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just wanted to intervene here so that many of you are not dissappointed. If a dealer is telling you that two weeks (or less) after the vehicle is built, that they will have it at their dealership, then you are not getting the truth. The rule of thumb for all Honda's from the build date to dealership is 4-6 weeks. 4 weeks being the minimum. So a vehicle built on 4/27 would hit the dealership at 5/27 at the earliest. Now it obviously varies from dealer to dealer. If the dealer is 2 miles from the plant an Element is built at for example, they might get it a week sooner than the other dealers. I highly doubt even that though.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gee, that's a little disconcerting, supamann. I called the dealer this morning to clarify, and he got back to me and said delivery 2 weeks after build date. Groan...

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dealer informed me of a build date between 3/31 and 4/4.....delivery dateon mine is 4/16 here in the heart of Carolina.......woohaa! I'm stoked!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ok, so.....I digress. *lol*

Our dealer called today....and OMG, it's in! :D

We'll more than likely take delivery tomorrow afternoon.

So, we signed and ordered on March 15th and it arrived on April 14th. That's one month ALMOST to the day. wow.

Well...now we know.

Angie :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
My dealer originally gave me a build date of April 9-13 and delivery of April 27 for my GG EX 4WD. He was very definite in saying 14 days from build to delivery and that in a few instances it might be 10 days instead. In the end he found one matching my order at a local dealer so we didn't have to wait.

Looks like a lot of dealers are disappointing a lot of customers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
One of the reasons that I bought the vehicle that I did, was that a certain dealership in Chapel Hill, NC indicated that it would be 6-8wks to get in a special order. I don't know if that's a true timeframe or not. But it's what drove me right smack into the arms of their competition, who just happened to have a vehicle very close to what I wanted, in stock ready for almost immediate possesion.

Shop around, and ascertain for yourselves, if the vehicle you want really isn't available nearby for less. The dealer in question told me that a multi-state search indicated that it was impossible to find a either a SOP or GG EX, and said that the only route was a special order. Funny, but I've been driving one for a week, and it cost less than they said it would.

One thing I learned in all this, is that dealers only trade amongst themselves when all the players get along. If your particular dealer is on the 'outs' with the other regional dealers, then they aren't likely to get any of the cherry picks. If you want choice, then you go to a dealer that hasn't pissed everybody else off. Apparently, this actually includes Honda itself, since the build to delivery dates seem to vary considerably. I've heard of folks getting a car built, and having it delivered in 3-4wks. Then there are these dealers that are quoting double that timeframe. What's up with that?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am a salesperson at a dealership in Florida.

Tha actual time in transit from build date to arrival is usually 7-10 days.
that is from Ohio to Florida. It is within 4 days of that all over the nation, except Alaska and Hawaii.

Most dealers will say two weeks so if any transit problems arrive, your car is still on schedule. And who gets upset at a dealership that gets your car 4 days early?

Supamann, your transit time is on par for cars that are assembled overseas. Like the CR-V or S2000. Those come over on cargo ships and take a good while to arrive.

If anyone has any other questions about elements, feel free to ask them.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, Will!! :D

That's encouraging on several levels. First, it means that my E might be here sooner! I've been bracing myself to be patient, but it's very difficult, especially when I read all the threads about everyone who already has their E. Okay, color me envious. :mrgreen:

On the second level, I really like the people at my Honda dealer, and I'm glad to hear that they are telling the truth. There are too many car-dealer-horror-stories out there, and I can't help but remember them when I worry about what I've been told. I like dealing honestly with people, and expect the same. Generally, I've not been disappointed, and I have great hopes that I won't be this time.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ok Will -- my question is -- When can an order be placed for the Element with side airbags????

Thanks for any info on this.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am sorry for any added confusion I might have given any of you. I contacted our Honda rep and asked for more information about the build date to delivery question and he pretty much confirmed what Will has stated and also what many of you have experienced. The Elements are getting shipped out quickly after the build dates (unlike many other models) and are arriving within a two week time frame from build date.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.