Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey there! New guy here.
I have a 2003 Auto Ex 4WD. Wondering if you guys have had an trouble with the temp gauge rising after driving a few hours drive time. A/c intermittently used.
I drove from Kingman Arizona to Lone Pine, Ca. Temp gauge started to rise a bit. I threw on the heat and moved dial to foot and windshield. It dropped.

Didn’t use A/C after til another couple hours. Temp gauge didn’t rise then. I did reach my destination about 25 minutes after turning A/C on again(so didn’t get to gauge the longer stretch again) Desert temps ranged from 94-103 degrees.
Does weather temp play an effect on temp gauge? Or am I making that up? I know when temp rises of course it’s going to have an effect. But how much?

already put 30,000 miles on it since I got it! 1 year!
Thanks again!

·
Registered
2003 EX AWD auto
244 Posts
Well with the record heat wave you guys out west have been experiencing it may be related to the ambient temps and just how hot its been. Air temps may be lower than what is actually being radiated off the road surface which is what would be used to cool your car.

Check your coolant levels to make sure its full and clean. If that looks good then your car is probably good and not much you can do to help it except for exactly what you did - turn off AC and blast the heat - or drive at night.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well with the record heat wave you guys out west have been experiencing it may be related to the ambient temps and just how hot its been. Air temps may be lower than what is actually being radiated off the road surface which is what would be used to cool your car.

Check your coolant levels to make sure its full and clean. If that looks good then your car is probably good and not much you can do to help it except for exactly what you did - turn off AC and blast the heat - or drive at night.
Thank you! The weather has definitely been much higher than I’m used to. Want to stay on top of the TLC for sure!

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element EX
35 Posts
When the car is stationary and the AC is on, are both fans (the radiator fan and the condenser fan) at the front of the car turning on? If one is not, that would explain the rising temps when AC was on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in the desert. Once the ambient temperature hits 100 or so plus, the Element's temperature gauge will rise and rise unless you take preventive measures.

When climbing a long grade with the AC on, is the only time this occurs. If the coolant gauge begins to rise, turn the AC off until you reach the summit. Once your on the relatively flat road or heading down a grade, you can turn the AC on again.

I have owned and maintained my Element since new. I change coolant and fluids regularly. The radiator is clean and looks new. The fans work.

My guess is the Elements cooling system is undersized for the desert temperatures.

Inconvenient yes, livable yes.

Brion S

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT; 2008 LX FWD AT
1,931 Posts
What kind of engine coolant are you using? Depending on the coolant and how (if) it is mixed with water, it will have different characteristics relative to being able to transfer heat from the engine and from the coolant to the air.

·
Registered
2003 EX AWD auto
244 Posts
Hello I need help with my car it’s dead and I bought a new battery but it does nothing at all. 2003 Honda Element
start up a new thread with more detail. Bad form to high jack someone elses' thread. "My car is dead" is of little help to us, to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use Peak 50/50 coolant.
I use the Honda Coolant only. Except for engine oil...Mobil 1, I dollar up for the Honda Fluids. Change the transmission fluid three times within a 100 miles, change rear differential oil, etc.

Only real issues have been power window plastic retainer failures and bad clear coat on plastic painted horizontal areas..Despite regular waxing and cover. Oh and a stolen CAT in LV.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts