Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My E has 201k and my transmission is still going strong but the mount rusted out and my mechanic had to
weld the replacement trans mount to the frame. He also told me my engine was on the last few yrs of its life.
(how would he know that unless he did a compression test and he would ve told me those results!?)

I got this E in 2018 with 194k on it. The car drove absolutely perfect till July when I broke the left front axle.
after going through swapping out bad wobbly aftermarket axles on the front L and R side its doing well.

I would love to know from you mechanics out there... how does a reg guy without the tools and knowhow to do a major repair like an engine
change or transmission change weigh the options, considering we LOVE our Elements!!

HYE2967

·
Registered
3 Posts
I posted my question w the intent to find out the avg shop time required for an engine OR Trans. Because there seem to be vendors out there to supply 2.4L (reman) engines and Auto Transmissions, i figured someone would share how difficult or easy it was to do either one or both of these tasks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have 234,000 miles on mine and everything is fine. Go to the coparts.com website and look up how many salvage/wrecked Elements have high mileage- and all of them were running on the road when they got in an accident-- I saw several with over 300,000 miles and one with 395,000 when I was looking for an Element. They key is how many highway miles vs city miles they were driven. My one owner Element was owned by a guy who drove 50-70 miles each way to work on the interstate for many years, then he gave it to his wife and she drove it to her job- 15 miles away on open road. Then it became their 3rd car, until he decided to sell it- radiator leak and new tires needed- which was no big issue to me--

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 234,000 miles on mine and everything is fine. Go to the coparts.com website and look up how many salvage/wrecked Elements have high mileage- and all of them were running on the road when they got in an accident-- I saw several with over 300,000 miles and one with 395,000 when I was looking for an Element. They key is how many highway miles vs city miles they were driven. My one owner Element was owned by a guy who drove 50-70 miles each way to work on the interstate for many years, then he gave it to his wife and she drove it to her job- 15 miles away on open road. Then it became their 3rd car, until he decided to sell it- radiator leak and new tires needed- which was no big issue to me--

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Xangryth:
thanks for the info on coparts.com . I really don't want to get a used engine or tranny. If they cannot make a
Remanned unit that works for at least 100k they shouldn't be in business. I am of course assuming the parts in a Reman unit are not ALL used and just cleaned, oiled and put together without testing!
That all said, there are YT videos of guys taking out an engine, replacing it in 2 days but it was all done for
"a friend". In the world of marine engines, this stuff is done all the time and prices are listed or quoted regularly. I know its apples and oranges but one of the things I wanted to address is how difficult is it to get (BIG)parts for the E
now that its going on 9yrs after Honda stopped making it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts