Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '03 got killed by a new teen driver who turned left in front of it (no one else was killed but the two front airbags gave their all), so I'm shopping for a replacement.

Of course, asking prices are based in part on total miles, and I'm wondering when Elements begin to wear out the major things. Since I live in the southwest, I'm not likely to rust it out, and I don't drive that much. My '03 had just 58,000 miles on it and had never had a mechanical issue. I see them offered with less than 10k miles to 130k.

Looking forward to hearing from you high-mileage owners.

·
Registered
477 Posts
There is a thread on here about high mileage E's. Do a search. I've read one had >300k miles. Mine has 56k, so only 244k miles to go. As with anything else, a well maintained well documented car with high miles is worth more than a car with deferred maintenance or little to no records with low miles;-);-). Just my .03 cents.

·
Registered
1 Posts
high miles?

Just came to this site and like what I see.
I have a 2007 SC with 328,000 miles still going strong.
I love the car only wish they still made it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A few years ago Consumer Reports listed the Element in a group of autos that in their opinion would easily last 200K miles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just bought an 03 with 155k in April. The guy had all the the records for it. Runs perfect so far, couldn't be happier! Hoping I get at least another 100k +

·
Registered
2 Posts
High Miles...Still going

My E (Maggie) has 362,547 miles on her. Bought brand new in 2005 from Lynnwood Honda. At that time she had 44 miles on her. On Friday her front rt axle broke. That's currently being repaired along with a few other things. I contemplated buying a new vehicle, but can't seem to part with her. I hope to 500K miles. We'll see.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I imagine it depends on how well the Element has been taken care off. I have spent thousands of dollars maintaing mine over the years because I plan on going to 250,000. I am at 145,000 right now. Its also a question of ride quality for me. A lot of cars out there 'run' but what is their suspension like, how noisy is there engine!

·
Registered
115 Posts
This I found as a review on KBB
486,000 miles and NEVER a mechanical problem
By Element Owner in TX on Tuesday, March 14, 2017
I own this car - My approximate mileage is 486,000
Pros: "RELIABLE - RELIABLE - RELIABLE"
Cons: "Honda quit making it - bummer!!!"

Likely to recommend this car? (1-10): 10

"Bought new in 2005, an AWD Element EX. I figured it would be an inexpensive yet disposable work vehicle --- it is still running!!! Furthermore it has NEVER had anything break other than the switch for the drivers side window, and that was at 390,000 miles, and cost just 125 to repair. It passes smog every year with no problem. It just keeps running and running. Only went to the dealer 2 years ago for the airbag recall. No joke - it just doesnt break! At least 200,000 of its miles have been on rough DIRT/UNPAVED roads as well. This car defines reliability! Please Honda bring back the Element."

8 people out of 10 found this review helpful

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am currently looking for my first "E", and it is really hard to find any with less than 140K - 160K miles, with many examples showing 200K - 250K on the odometer, so they must be very reliable! Just way too many miles for me to start out with when you never fully know the maintenance history.....

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Bought mine brand spankin' new in '06. I parked it for a few years (had a love affair with a Chevy HHR SS), but the old girl forgave me and I've been driving it all over the northeast.

Clock reads 265,xxx, and it's going strong.

I've replaced:

Alternator
Starter
Timing chain
Radiator / condenser (hit a deer)
Various and sundry brake calipers
Pressure plate (clutch was like new, but one of those little finger thingies broke off)
Rear axle (a freak thing: It just snapped at fairly low mileage)
Two or three windshields - cracks or chips; take your pick.
I'm sure I've forgotten something, but it must have been minor / inexpensive.

I'm waiting for two new front axles to arrive, and I'll (well... the Honda dealer will) change them.

I tend to over-maintain my Honda, and am shooting for 450,000 miles.

That'll be the day I retire from work.

Hondas, if properly maintained, last a lot longer than you would expect!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am currently looking for my first "E", and it is really hard to find any with less than 140K - 160K miles, with many examples showing 200K - 250K on the odometer, so they must be very reliable! Just way too many miles for me to start out with when you never fully know the maintenance history.....
Don't lose hope, I had been looking a little over a year and finally bought an Element. I was adamant about not overpaying and it took that long to get my hands on one, drove 100 miles roundtrip this weekend to pick it up and I'm luvin the "E" so far!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought an 05 ex awd 5sp with 130k. This gives me hope for another 130k. 3rd owner, good carfax, previously owned by the parts department manager at Honda.

Anything I should think about preemptively changing given my mileage?

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I have 3 H Elements

Just came to this site and like what I see.
I have a 2007 SC with 328,000 miles still going strong.
I love the car only wish they still made it.
I bought 06 HE Ex 4wd on auction as animal accident with clean title. replaced both doors with same color and like it a lot. Had 165 k miles. I put 10 k miles and like it so much then I decide to buy one more with lower millage.
I recently bought one on salvage auto auction 06 with only 70 k miles lx model . Easy fix damage and I'm able to do it in my garage. Inside in immaculate condition . Anyway while I was searching trough auction I saw so many of them over 2 and 300 K Miles. I heard wit good maintenance this cars can run up to 400 k miles. they are popular here in Indiana.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts