Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
come on 600lbs. thats it I'm 240# and it,s getting cold here in the land of ptesant living, I'm going to get pellets soon I'd like to get 10 bags at a time AT 40# A BAG. looks like I need to get a trailer hitch

·
Registered
212 Posts
come on 600lbs. thats it I'm 240# and it,s getting cold here in the land of ptesant living, I'm going to get pellets soon I'd like to get 10 bags at a time AT 40# A BAG. looks like I need to get a trailer hitch
max load limit for cargo is 675 lbs. That is driver, passengers, and cargo combined. If you have a trailer it also includes the tongue weight. Towing you can tow up to 1500lbs with 150lb tongue weight (10% of trailer weight should = tongue weight).

If you are making a one time trip with rock salt/ice melt you will be fine loading 500 lbs or more plus you. the weight restrictions are usually conservative.

on a side note i have had me and three passengers in the car that has equalled more then 800 pounds (all of us slightly over 200)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good Thread...
I'm looking at long-distance driving and camping and the weight of water, extra gas and equipment reaches that 675 pretty quick.

how did it handle with 800.. how was it on hills, turning, suspension..

·
Registered
212 Posts
how did it handle with 800.. how was it on hills, turning, suspension..
you definately felt the weight but it was much better then i would have expected. i was more concerned with the suspension bottoming out or being really low but it wasnt at all. acceleration was fine too (but i drive a manual). most noticable is braking. i had to consciously brake earlier and it did take longer to stop. overall it was fine though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
you definately felt the weight but it was much better then i would have expected. i was more concerned with the suspension bottoming out or being really low but it wasnt at all. acceleration was fine too (but i drive a manual). most noticable is braking. i had to consciously brake earlier and it did take longer to stop. overall it was fine though.
So adding some height or stronger suspension could help, but it sounds like it rode okay aside from braking, and I'm guessing it might strain a bit if there were any significant hills.

Whatever 38 full sized cinder blocks weigh plus my 260 lb self. :)
Wow, yahoo and wiki were 'saying' a block is 20-38 pounds, so "full-size" might be close to the 38.. that sound right? Even at 35 pounds plus yourself, the Element was carrying an impressive 1300+ pounds!

how was the handling and braking, and did you travel on any hills?

It sounds like the E can handle a large supply of water or gas cans for extended camping trips, though I imagine it's not going to be too nimble at climbing a mountain with 1000+ pounds!

·
Registered
106 Posts
So adding some height or stronger suspension could help, but it sounds like it rode okay aside from braking, and I'm guessing it might strain a bit if there were any significant hills.

Wow, yahoo and wiki were 'saying' a block is 20-38 pounds, so "full-size" might be close to the 38.. that sound right? Even at 35 pounds plus yourself, the Element was carrying an impressive 1300+ pounds!

how was the handling and braking, and did you travel on any hills?

It sounds like the E can handle a large supply of water or gas cans for extended camping trips, though I imagine it's not going to be too nimble at climbing a mountain with 1000+ pounds!

First off, they haven't made CINDER block in some 30 years.
If indeed your talking about the concrete blocks that are used to build buildings, you are talking CONCRETE blocks.
Cinder blocks were banned years ago due to sulphuric acid leaching out if wet.

And Concrete building blocks come in many sizes, a nominal 8"high x 16" wide but in multiples of 4" 6" 8" and 12" widths
They all weigh different.
I was a mason, and lifted more than I want to count. LOL

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yesterday I move some wood...three trips...9 massive logs each time...picts of logs to follow...I'd say 900 or so pounds each trip...plus my 270ish lbs:twisted:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just over a month ago I travelled from SC to VA with myself, fiancee, two sons, and a dog (boxer) that totalled roughly about 500lbs. There was a king size Tempurpedic mattress on the roof that had to weigh about 150-200 lbs judging by what it took to lift it up there. And I had a cargo platform in the rear hitch that weighed roughly 150 pounds including what was on it. Add in I'd guess about 150 pounds give or take in luggage for all of us and that totals somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 pounds with a hell of a drag coefficient.

The 450 mile drive went flawlessly. The suspension was noticibly, but not drastically compressed in the rear. I didn't notice much of a difference in braking or handling performance, but i obviously didn't try to take turns at normal speeds either. All in all, it went wonderful and i was more than pleased.

·
Registered
17 Posts
[email protected] trailer like this:

and this:

Yes, before the flames start, it is over 1500#, probably pushing 1800#+ with options and my stuff in it. Listed weight without options 1585 per the factory.

It towed just fine, had to keep my speed down to keep from collapsing the sides of the gas tank:lol: but averaged 12-14 mpg to Orlando, Fort Wilderness and back. Towing was flawless, no sway and plenty of stopping power as trailer has surge brakes.
No warranty implied or given, your mileage and results may vary, don't try this at home!

·
Registered
590 Posts
i brought a ton of pellets home between most in my 4x8 trailer and almost 500 lbs of it in the back. didn't have to go far, but it wasn't an issue.

·
Registered
225 Posts
This is what I pull. The four wheeler is about 750lbs and whatever the trailer weighs!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
most I've ever pulled was 1900 lbs, on my 5x10 trailer... 2 cut up 95 jettas.... 20 miles to the recycler....... no issues.... watched my speed & kept my distance from everyone.... brakes did fine, element handled fine....

·
Registered
282 Posts
a couple of days ago, i had a 400lbs sportbike in the back plus myself (6'4, 230lbs)... that's prolly the most i've had at once. it was noticable in the way the E handled.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife and I are moving from Chicago to San Diego in a few months. We own a 2006 Honda Element 2WD LX AT with about 32,000 miles on it. We live in a one bedroom apartment currently and are thinking of installing a Uhaul hitch and renting on of Uhaul's 5x8 trailers and make the 2,000 mile trek over a 4 day period. Alone the 5x8 trailer weighs 900lbs. I'm thinking we would add another 1000lbs maximum. We are not taking any big furniture. A queen sized bed, clothes, dishes, a few randoms boxes of household items and a few small tables and a handful of electronics (tv, stereo, computer). Do you think this is do-able or would this be to big of a strain?

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
My wife and I are moving from Chicago to San Diego in a few months. We own a 2006 Honda Element 2WD LX AT with about 32,000 miles on it. We live in a one bedroom apartment currently and are thinking of installing a Uhaul hitch and renting on of Uhaul's 5x8 trailers and make the 2,000 mile trek over a 4 day period. Alone the 5x8 trailer weighs 900lbs. I'm thinking we would add another 1000lbs maximum. We are not taking any big furniture. A queen sized bed, clothes, dishes, a few randoms boxes of household items and a few small tables and a handful of electronics (tv, stereo, computer). Do you think this is do-able or would this be to big of a strain?
Are you an experienced tow-er? I've towed more 4+ hours and had no problems, but I was very careful and took it pretty easy. Watch your trailer balance carefully!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 27 Posts