Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Either I am losing my mind or prices have sky rocketed over the last 2 years.
I stopped in a mechanic yesterday and asked how much they would charge to install my lowering springs and camber kit ront and rear. They told me it would be about 6-8 hours labor so like $600!!!! I had my tires, struts, springs and camber kit installed on my jetta for $150!!!!! I have calls into other shops but they are not calling me back ugh. So How much did you pay? :confused:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Either I am losing my mind or prices have sky rocketed over the last 2 years.
I stopped in a mechanic yesterday and asked how much they would charge to install my lowering springs and camber kit ront and rear. They told me it would be about 6-8 hours labor so like $600!!!! I had my tires, struts, springs and camber kit installed on my jetta for $150!!!!! I have calls into other shops but they are not calling me back ugh. So How much did you pay? :confused:
i did it in my driveway in half that time with the tools i have a nice jack and some jack stands. now i am no mechanic, but i have a pretty decent assortment of tools. still with a lift and all the air tools those guys have it should take them about 2.5-3 hours for the whole bit. and if you are just putting springs on it and not coilovers dont waste the time or money with the camber kits, i didnt need either the from or rear on mine. i actually set the rears at the same length as the originals when i put it all in just to give a base line and when the car got taken to the shop to be aligned the camber was within spec and didnt even need to be touched. they adjusted some ote on 2 of the wheels but camber was fine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know thanks! Eventually I want to put coilovers on so maybe Ill put the camber kit on now anyway. I was going to do it myself because I have a good assortment of tools also but like you said with all the air tools they have its probably worth it to have someone do it and save my knuckles and prevent me from lighting my car on fire from the rage I have lol!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I have always done it myself, so I have no clue, but its probably expensive. Just take your time and you can do it. I have lowered a s10, cavalier, beretta, rx8, saturn sc2, 89 95 & 99 civics, corrola, my camaro, and have bagged 3 vehicles (2 for old customers and my 97 sonoma), and have lifted 2 silverado's and gonna slam my E on ksports as soon as they get here. That took me 10 minutes to remember, lol. I have all basic tools in my garage, I just rent what is needed. If you ever need help quick, pm me, I have instant notification that comes through my iphone.
Later,
Steve

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have always done it myself, so I have no clue, but its probably expensive. Just take your time and you can do it. I have lowered a s10, cavalier, beretta, rx8, saturn sc2, 89 95 & 99 civics, corrola, my camaro, and have bagged 3 vehicles (2 for old customers and my 97 sonoma), and have lifted 2 silverado's and gonna slam my E on ksports as soon as they get here. That took me 10 minutes to remember, lol. I have all basic tools in my garage, I just rent what is needed. If you ever need help quick, pm me, I have instant notification that comes through my iphone.
Later,
Steve
OOO I would love to bag the E!! Thank you I will def PM you if I have any questions, I get instant notifications as well!!

·
Mod-erator
4,573 Posts
I paid $200 but that was 2 years ago or so. + the alignment which I think is $60 or $70.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Yes, a bagged E would be the shiznit, just $3k is way too much!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am in the process of doing he sam ad checked with two different shops, one hit m at $650 the other at $800 plus. They both just pulled "the book" and said 3.5 hoursfor the front, 3.5 hours for the rear The lower priced shop did sayhe didn't think it would a full 7 hrs and would be willing to charge me the actual cost if it came in lower.

I'm doing the group buy for K Sports and am goingto tackle at least the fronts, not sure about the backs yet, especially with the control arms, etc

Scott

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that is crap even if they are doing so "according to the book" the rears are 3.2 but both fronts only call for 1.2 (.6 for each side)
I am taking it to a shop that said they didnt have the info in their book or the computer program so he wants to look at it. This guy builds race cars so hopefully hes not like the other idiots lol. Do the brakes have to be re bled? I just dont understand the problem lol!! My gf had her scion tc lowered for $200.. Maybe I will rent the compressor and air tools and get a spring compressor and do it up!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
nothing has to be done to the brakes. there is a 12 mm bolt that holds the line to the strust in the front and the others are just the snap clips that hold the abs sensors to the strut and the rear control arms. you wont have to actually remove anything brake wise that would make you have to bleed anything.

and you dont really need a compressor and air tools, just makes it go a little quicker. if you have a torque wrench, some sockets and some metric wrenches then you really only need to "borrow the spring compressor" from discount or autozone, both of which loan tools out for free.

·
Registered
2 Posts
$220 flat including alignment is what i paid. the shop i went to first told me 400$ saying "your car is 4wd and will take me awhile...". You will probably get mixed quotes on it depending on the shop.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
that sounds right. i asked a friend who has his own shop and he said the elements are cake. he charges 50 bucks per corner to to struts (same thing as going springs.) no alignment though. have to go to another shop that just does tires and alignments, 50 bucks there too. grand total if i hadnt done it 250, i dont have a 40,000 dollar alignment machine though so i had to shell out 50 bucks for that. and dont waste your money on camber bolts or arms if all you are doing is springs like eibach or tein, they can get it in spec with what is there now. if you go coilovers get them though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm installing my coilovers this Saturday! The 40series look great on the stock rims , just needed to fill the wheel gap.. Post any tips if you have them, doing it myself in garage..

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I'm installing my coilovers this Saturday! The 40series look great on the stock rims , just needed to fill the wheel gap.. Post any tips if you have them, doing it myself in garage..
if you are swapping out the entire assemblies then it will be cake for you. just get a six pack and fire up the air compressor and have fun. and post pics after you are done.:-D

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I would generally charge $200 at my shop for coilover/spring install. This didn't include any alignment. If they had a camber kit, I always felt it was best that the alignment shop installed it, but would do it for a little extra if the customer wanted me to do it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
if you are swapping out the entire assemblies then it will be cake for you. just get a six pack and fire up the air compressor and have fun. and post pics after you are done.:-D
Just the eIbach coils.. And it's hell to get the front ones off.. :(

·
Registered
478 Posts
bump

The Wheel Supply here in Industry charges 175 (But i dont know if i will be going through them)

Question:

I tried to get my Tein Basics installed the other day, however, I dont know if it was leverage or what, We couldnt get the first screws loose to start the process behind the rear wheels. (Sorry I dont know what its called) I think it may be on too tight, he had a weak air compression tool, but no luck. Will it snap? or am i overreacting?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Are you talking about the caliper bracket bolts? If so, those kind of a pain to get off if you don't have any air tools pb blaster may help. Just a tip:When you get to that point I would make final snug down of bolts with full vehicle weight on the new parts. Good Luck!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts