Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My wife and I are new here and currently own a 2010 EX with 115K miles on it. We've had it since 2013 and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! My wife operates a home staging business and the cargo space in this car is awesome, plus it's compact enough for her to maneuver it around town and down narrow streets.

The thing is, the color. It's the cranberry red, and not our fav :-(. We really want the citrus fire orange, and have been keeping our eyes out for one for years. Well, one has shown up at the local Honda dealership, with very low miles. We stopped and looked and it looks like the car has been sitting around quite a bit. Lots of new parts underneath (brake calipers and rotors, new CV boots, upper control arms in rear). Who knows what else could be dry rotted, or crusty due to not being driven much.

The dealership is WAAAAAYYY out of whack with the price though. Almost $6K over KBB and NADA.

So what should we do? How much should we really over pay? Our plan is to sell the 2010 private, and just pay cash for the 2011. Please chime in.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,128 Posts
Welcome to the EOC Jeff! :)

And I totally get the appeal of an orange Element! I love my '03 EX in Sunset Orange Pearl! :)

First off, used cars in general, and low mileage 2010 & 2011 Elements in particular, are in very high demand right now for a number of reasons; mostly fallout from the corona virus. So don't be too shocked when you see a very high price at a dealer. And since Element production went down every year since the first ones in 2003, later models are even more in demand since Honda made way fewer of them to begin with; more fuel for the high price fire! : - ( The only good part of that is you may get more than you thought for your 2010 when you sell it.

You didn't mention the actual low mileage number; but if it indeed needed all of those new parts you mentioned, something doesn't sound right. Getting a good pre-purchase inspection done by an outside shop would definitely be in order. Around here (FL) that would cost around $50 to $75; cheap insurance any hidden costly problems. And don't forget that there are still some unscrupulous dealers out there who would tamper with changing odometers, so.........

Also you didn't mention where you live. If you are in a state where road salt is used in the winter, underbody rust could be a major problem. Even with low mileage, it's still 10 years old already. We have seen a lot of major problems on this site on Elements from a road salt state. As the old song by Neil Young goes, "Rust Never Sleeps". Again another very good reason for that pre-purchase inspection.

One more idea: if your 2010 is in otherwise in excellent condition, you could get it repainted in Citrus Fire. I know that paint and body work is insanely expensive too these days. But, if you count all the costs of what it will ultimately cost you to upgrade to this 2011, it may end up costing less for the repaint. Something to think about!

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for all of your input. Yes, we considered painting the car as well. Which might actually be a nice option. We’re going to the dealership this afternoon to test drive and “talk”. Wish us luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Offer to trade your E to the dealer either wholesale for wholesale, or retail for retail.
That way they would still have a relatively recent model with low miles that they could still make a profit from.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, as anticipated, the dealer did not budge even $1. Very disappointing. We haven't given up hope though. Hoping that maybe if it sits around, the price might come down. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,128 Posts
Keep on searching. They are still out there!

I know it's not your color, but check this one out; only 24K miles:

How does that price stack up to what your dealer was asking?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's close in price, very close. It's a business, and I get it. But is it a wise purchase to buy a 10 year old car and pay the same price it was when new? It's not like the car was put in a bubble for the past 10 years. It's still a used car.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Offer to trade your E to the dealer either wholesale for wholesale, or retail for retail.
That way they would still have a relatively recent model with low miles that they could still make a profit from.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
I LOVE this idea. The dealer might try to cheat you on the sales price of the 2011, but you can throw the argument back in their face when they try to undervalue your 2010.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Thanks for all of your input. Yes, we considered painting the car as well. Which might actually be a nice option. We’re going to the dealership this afternoon to test drive and “talk”. Wish us luck!
Or you could check out a “wrap” with advertising, could be a tax write off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all,

My wife and I are new here and currently own a 2010 EX with 115K miles on it. We've had it since 2013 and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! My wife operates a home staging business and the cargo space in this car is awesome, plus it's compact enough for her to maneuver it around town and down narrow streets.

The thing is, the color. It's the cranberry red, and not our fav :-(. We really want the citrus fire orange, and have been keeping our eyes out for one for years. Well, one has shown up at the local Honda dealership, with very low miles. We stopped and looked and it looks like the car has been sitting around quite a bit. Lots of new parts underneath (brake calipers and rotors, new CV boots, upper control arms in rear). Who knows what else could be dry rotted, or crusty due to not being driven much.

The dealership is WAAAAAYYY out of whack with the price though. Almost $6K over KBB and NADA.

So what should we do? How much should we really over pay? Our plan is to sell the 2010 private, and just pay cash for the 2011. Please chime in.

Thanks,

Jeff
It's close in price, very close. It's a business, and I get it. But is it a wise purchase to buy a 10 year old car and pay the same price it was when new? It's not like the car was put in a bubble for the past 10 years. It's still a used car.

Thanks
Hi Jeffrey, I just saw your post. I was going to wait until December to list my Element but I see you’re looking for a Citrus orange model which I have. Here are the specs: 2010 citrus orange EX model with hood wind deflector, mud flaps front and rear, fog lights, Yakima racks. Paint is in like new condition and has been maintained exclusively at the dealer. The car has been garage kept and has no rust. Currently it has 91,000 miles on the clock and runs perfectly. Just so you know , a truck hit the back tailgate and it was replaced with a new one. The paint matches exactly. I will be asking $14,000 if you are interested.

Larry Garner

·
Registered
11 Posts
Let me know what you will be asking for your red one. Mines a 2005 red I purchased new. Would love a backup red one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts