Discussion Starter #1
Hope these come out ok
My 2009 E with 'Benefits'.
My LX>SC type conversions
eBay SC console with Hand Brake etal,

and various additional 12 volt port installs

barrier to keep dogs from driving off when we are out of the car

and of course the owners of this car

now I read the FAQ on how to post this...
but somehow I suspect it's not going to come out the way I hoped.
don't beat me too hard,

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Those bars on the side are dangerous for the dogs. Think if you got in an accident and the back end got crushed a little bit, lots of little skewers :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
those little bars

All responsible dog owners, who train, exibit, in obedience, agility, tracking at AKC dog shows, transport their dogs in 'crates' like those.

Note: We call them 'Crates' not cages.
The dogs recognize them as their shelters or dens.

They are amazingly strong and actually prevent the dogs from being injured in serious crashes.

But each to his own preference.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I've all for protecting a dog while traveling, though I've gone the 'seatbelt' route, rather than the cage one. But it's hard to imagine the side panels doing much, other than keeping their noses off the glass. They don't reduce the volume of the cargo space much, and hence don't limit the dog's movement in a crash. The wire surface might not be anymore forgiving than the plastic interior. In fact I can imagine more cuts or pokes from it.

Since there hasn't been much safety testing for dogs, and since dogs come in such a wide range of sizes, about best most of us can do is rely on common sense and experience.

·
Registered
177 Posts
With all due respect that isn't a crate. I have that barrier and you need to be aware that it shifts.

It works as a barrier but it will not keep your dog safe in an accident. If the dogs impact that barrier it and the dogs will go flying.

Mine kept falling over when someone got in the backseat,lol.

I'm just going to ignore the 'all responsible dog owners' remark since I do not use crates or bars in transport. I also call them cages on occasion.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
barrier won't move

The sides, front, and top of that crate...won't move in any reasonable accident.
I'll concede that if the back of the car is crushed in....well that's a different story.
I've traveled thousands of miles going to search and rescue missions and seminars with that 'crate' in the back of my pickup with a camper top.
The dogs are as reasonably safe as I or anyone can make it.

But then, your welcome to your opinions.

In my business, experience trumps.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It's not an opinion. Saying all responsible dog owners have this set up is an opinion.

That front barrier unless it's screwed in is not safe, period. Wait until the headliner starts to give a bit and the damn thing falls back when it's bumped. Something about the E construction made using it a trial. I'm trying to impart my real life expierence to you. Because you are concerned.

The point you are missing in this, perhaps because of your defensiveness, is that the DOGS will move about in a crash.

If you are truly doing all this for safety you are looking at it with the wrong perspective. What you don't want is the dog being hurled forward. Or anywhere, really, but forward can kill you and the dog.

It is not as safe as anyone can make it.

I don't think you'll do anything other than shrug this off and that's fine, but I think it's important to point out why this isn't safe/safer/safest in case someone else comes along who is looking for ideas.

Maybe in the future, when you post stuff for people to look at, you might consider that the feedback your getting might be helpful. Traveling thousands of miles has no relevance because you've yet to have a major (and God willing won't) accident. Maybe you could find a way to clamp that front barrier?

Not trying to be bossy, just really love dogs,lol. I'll stop now.

·
Registered
409 Posts
In my business, experience trumps.
Statements like this almost makes me think you are baiting someone for an arguement.

How about showing a little ohana and accepting that maybe other people are seeing the situation from an angle you have never looked at...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are right about my mispeak

I should have said
Many of my fellow exhibitor, trainers, search and rescue team members have a system similar to mine.

They are as responsible as any, and like I, care about their dogs very much.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
personally, I like the SC console. It looks good.

Crates, cages, harnesses... :rolleyes:
none are perfect - neither are we for that matter.

He can't be all bad, I mean look at those two dogs. ;-)

His setup isn't like mine, and I honestly think mine is better, but you know - at least he's doing something - there's a lot of folks out there who don't. So let's all just agree to disagree on the topic and refer everyone to the harness / crate / cage / free roam threads. There's a ton of information in those threads. I doubt any of us have the ideal setup anyway.

But I have to ask one important question before I quit, do you use a remote antenna on that GPS?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Easy man, just trying to say, I've seen the results of what wire crates(and as said before I wouldn't refer to that as a crate) and broken solder points vs soft living tissue can do, and it's not pretty.

·
Registered
660 Posts
personally, I like the SC console. It looks good.

But I have to ask one important question before I quit, do you use a remote antenna on that GPS?
An Antenna for the GPS? What are you talking about?

I have a GPS and it's working without the antenna. Is it the type of GPS that needs one, or the location, or what?

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
An Antenna for the GPS? What are you talking about?
Just that some of the GPS units that are mounted in any location other than the windshield don't receive quite as well as they could. No big deal, I was just curious.

I have my GPS mounted in a very similar location (no external antenna either) and was just wondering if an antenna would be worth the expense / aggravation.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
I pick up more satellites with an external antenna, mounted on the highest point and roughly center of the car. It makes the most difference in marginal reception conditions, especially while northbound.

External antennas can be had for only $20 or so. Note that some GPS units, particularly handhelds, lack an external antenna jack.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not a Safety Feature.

barrier to keep dogs from driving off when we are out of the car
Seems to me that the O.P. never stated that the barrier (or Cage, or Crate) was for safety.

They said it was to keep the dogs from "Joy-riding"!!! :D

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you are really interested in being a responsible dog owner who like to advertising safety, & want to ensure other people understand, fully aware, & respect you as a dog owner who care about safety of the dog, get the real plastic crate for each & every dog you have similar like this, & fasten them to the car securely.

I have 2 dogs & both of them are in the crate in the car 95% of time. The only time they are not in the crate is with seatbelt on their hardness on the way to neighborhood coffee shop or neighborhood park.

Most of time people does not care about how you transport your dog, but if you advertising not using seatbelt or crate for your dog is safe, try not using seat belt yourself starting now, & tell us how you feel when you are in the accident.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This whole thread is about opinions, and we all have them.
I think that set up is great for keeping the dogs off the glass and out of your area up front. I would agree that the front one will not stop a dog traveling at 60mph from crashing through it should the car be involved in a front crash.
On a side note I just toss the dog in the back of the Element with no seats or harness, so I am no better off.
I feel the only real way is with an official harness hooked to a seat belt, but then my dog would not enjoy that, nor does he fit on the seat.
Just drive a little slower when your kids are in the car, that is all.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts