Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Element used, and the original owner used Mobil 1. I drive about 7k miles/year in 95% city driving. In my old Honda Accord, I had my oil changed every 3,500 miles which added up to every 6 months. During the duration of my ownership of the Accord, I took it in to my Honda guy and never questioned what oil he put in. After looking at receipts when I sold it, I saw he used Mobil 1. My Honda guy has since retired and my new Honda guy uses Valvoline SynPower. I figured I would try to stick with the Mobil 1 since the last owner used it and my last car never had problems. Anyway, how often should I have my oil changed with Mobil 1 when I drive 7k/year 95% city driving?

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
IMO, stick with your 3,500 mile habit. Your driving pattern is hard on engines (and oil). You change the oil not necessarily because it loses lubrication qualities, but because it gets contaminated from combustion byproducts. The city driving + low mileage per calendar period accumulates this contamination much faster than a more conventional 50/50 highway-city pattern at 12-15K miles a year.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I bought my element at 8k miles. I use M1 every 5k miles. At 90k miles I had an oil sample analyses done by Blackstone Labs. They said everything was perfect, and I could go to 7500 mile oil changes. I have stuck with the 5k mile oil changes. I now have 160,000+ miles.

If you really want to know the answer to your question, use the oil to 5k miles and then have it analized. That is the only way you will get a truthful answer for the oil change interval in your engine.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I am at 7500 mile changes as well. I got here by having the oil analyzed at the time of the oil change. I find my oil is still good at 7500 miles. I could go longer according to the results of the tests.

Just because my driving style, and in this area allows me to go longer than the recommended interval, it in no way suggests that it will work the same for you. We all use cars differently, and may be under different driving conditions.

Dom

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll probably stick to my usual schedule of getting it changed every 3,500 miles. It won't hurt anything. Do any of you use Valvoline SynPower or have any opinions on it? I'm sure my new Honda mechanic will probably tell me that Valvoline SynPower is better than Mobil 1 because that's what he uses. Is it just splitting hairs on the issue?:|

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone using the Mobil1 Extreme Performance oil? They claim you can run it for 15,000 miles using their extreme performance filter.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I bought my Element used . . . Anyway, how often should I have my oil changed with Mobil 1 when I drive 7k/year 95% city driving?
If you don't have an Oil Minder, Honda says: "You may use a synthetic motor oil if it meets the same requirements given for a conventional motor oil: it displays the API certification seal, and it is the proper weight. You must follow the oil and filter change intervals given on the maintenance schedule."

The "Normal" schedule says every year or 10000 miles (whichever is first). the "Severe" schedule says every 5,000 miles/1 year. (It says that the oil filter is good for 10,000 between changes on both schedules.)

Only you know your driving style, but if it were me, driving in Iowa, I'd split the difference, and change the Mobil 1 (or Pennzoil Platinum Plus), and the filter once a year (every 7000 miles), sometime in the late spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
MikeQBF gave you a good hint. I change differently depending upon usage. If I use it like you I also change at 3500-4000. If I take it on the road for work I might go up to 7k because miles are put on more quickly. You won't hurt anything by changing earlier.

Have been seeing reports of higher ferrous metals in UOA's with M1, considering switching once I use up my supply of M1.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MikeQBF gave you a good hint. I change differently depending upon usage. If I use it like you I also change at 3500-4000. If I take it on the road for work I might go up to 7k because miles are put on more quickly. You won't hurt anything by changing earlier.

Have been seeing reports of higher ferrous metals in UOA's with M1, considering switching once I use up my supply of M1.
Which oil are you considering switching to? My Honda guy uses Valvoline SynPower when he does oil changes. I never even bothered to ask before what he used until I bought my Element. The guy I bought it from said he had used Mobil 1 the whole time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts