Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going over the map trying to get our route in order and see from Birmingham, I81 through VA is the quickest way to Harpers Ferry.

Quick isn't important to us, were pulling the Teardrop and taking our time, seeing the country and camping along the way.

SO.........is it best we stay on 81, or take 35 through KY and some alternate route through WV.

Whats prettier? Less traffic? More to see? Best campgrounds and where?

Any help would be most awesome:D

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
873 Posts
blue ridge parkway & smokeys are always great.81 (I think is on the tenn/kentucky side .fast bunch of lanes kinda skeery at times. we go up through NC. cashiers,franklin,silva, toward ashville,(my parents have a great cabin in cashers nc.) be careful the roads are winedy & skinney but great time&seanery. have fun&dont get hurt

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Quick isn't important to us, were pulling the Teardrop and taking our time, seeing the country and camping along the way.

:D
:rolleyes::rolleyes:Jump on the Amtrack with the tear and save gas.:D:D

·
Registered
603 Posts
Since you have time I would take secondary roads instead of major highways. I will have to look at some maps. Do you belong to AAA. They have campbooks which are like their tourbooks.

Kentucky is beautiful horse country. I am sure there is some road that parallels 81 that would be scenic.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
me well I am going 88 to 81

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
How long do you have to get from Birmingham to Harpers Ferry? Have you ever been through KY? Horse Country is really only found in the Inner Bluegrass Region or the Lexington area and surrounding counties. It also happens to be Bourbon Country.

I-65 will take you by Mammoth Cave which has great campgrounds and if you have time to kill you could take a tour of the cave. The Horse Park as I mentioned to you before is another great place to rv/trailer camp.

From Lexington I-64 is a nice drive into WV with lots of fun stopping places like the Red River Gorge/Natural Bridge which have lots of camping areas too.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We are leaving Sunday, spending the night in MS, off to BigAls on Monday, so we have plenty of time to get to WV.

We drove through KY on our way through and home from OH last summer, stopped at Mammoth Caves and did the tour.
Were looking to do a lot more of that kind of stuff this summer.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Very cool. It is more fun to road trip when you have plenty of time to stop and see the sites.

The Red River Gorge area and Natural Bridge State Park in the Daniel Boone National Forest are nice areas. Some easy hiking trails to hard trails. Lots of scenic overlooks and a ski-lift to the top of Natural Bridge for a fun easy way to the top.

If you like Bourbon you should stop in for a tour of a Bourbon Distillery. Makers Mark has you hand dip your own bottle at the end of the tour. Woodford Reserve is in the heart of horse country and is top notch.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Can you kidnap BigAl?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·