Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best way to hide a key on the Element? A combination-locking gas cap with a pouch that provides space for an Element key would be grand, :p but the only one I've found on line is too short for the E's long key. With our collective experience, there must be a way to hide a key when participating in water sports. :?: :?: :idea: :roll:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have hidden the Valet key inside the car. In the off chance a window would have to be broken out in the boonies.
Spare key short time hiding is under the lower lip of the bumper.
Long term is tie wrapped to anything up under the chassie.
A magnetic holder large enuf to hold the honda key will fit inside the gas cap area.

shaka 47AG107

·
Registered
113 Posts
The Element comes with the Immobilizer system, which is a passive theft deterent system. (Stick the key in, the car asks the chip in the key the password, chip sends the password, car starts up) Although I can't say for absolutely sure, the chip is probably just a solid state doohickey that shouldn't be succeptable to magnets at all.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Aykew is right, all new Hondas are coming with the Immobilizer system. There is indeed a computer type chip in the key. That is why you need to go back to the dealer to get an additional key made. :cry:

Place to hide a key....well, I had a friend how was a locksmith. He used to recommend that people screw the key behind the license plate. He used to say that not everyone had a coat hanger in their car when they stopped to help you if you got locked out, but almost everyone has a screwdriver.

Now I don't know if this will work the way the newer keys are made, being much fatter than the old standard keys, but it is worth thinking about.

It is much easier to screw off a license plate screw than to break a window :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could we hide a key with the chip inside the car, and use a flat key just to get inside? If the flat key w/o the chip will open the door, it would be easy to hide it behind the license plate, or inside a combination-locking gas cap.

What if the key with the chip gets wet? I'm trying to figure out how to hid a key when in the water.

·
Registered
80 Posts
No problem with my metal key ring, but I found it interesting when I read that in the manual. Something to keep in mind if there are problems.

The chip is passive, i.e. it isn't powered (no battery), so I suspect it is something similar to the implants widely used for identifying pets. Would water hurt it....I don't know, but I doubt it. If you test this, best to use the valet key, since the only thing it really prevents you accessing is the glove box. It also won't unlock the rear hatch, but what good is that!

I like the license plate idea. But now I wonder if all Elements will have a key behind the plate.... :?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used to have a key duct taped to the back of my liscence plate for many years ~ quit doing it a short while back after it became such a common hiding place (kinda like being dumb enough to put one of the "hide-a-key" rocks next to your front door.. where do you think the first place a burglar looks? right.. under all the rocks next to door...)

anyhow.... behind the plate is "ok" ~ but it's becoming kinda common place now..

another similiar but better option is to duct tape the key to a solid surface that is a total pain in the arse to get to... but can be... the idea is it will be to much trouble for a thief to crawl under the car looking for a duct taped key ~ and you wont have to go get it unless it's really an emergancy anyway...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts