Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My element will not go out of park. I understand it may be the stop light switch. How do you install a new stop light switch. I know it is on the break peddle. It seems just to clip in.

Any other ideas regarding how to fix this problem.

thanks

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
1st....check if the brake lights work. ;-)

if they do, it ain't the switch.

if they don't, check the fuse! (can't remember the number...there is one under the hood and also the fuse panel at the dash...I think.)

Here is a link w/ some info on the "PARK interlock"
Here is a link w/ some switch info....look around at posts #14 and #22 or so.

Good luck.

Will

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Brake light Switch

Thanks for the information Will. My brake lights work but still replaced the switch. After I replaced the switch, I got it out of park several times. I thought things were good so I put the fuse panel back on and then it locked again. Brake lights are working. I adjusted the switch closer, further away, etc. It didn't help. I thought it might be a loose wire but didn't know how to test that except for moving them around. The TPS thing on the trottle is beyond my skill. I may go to Auto Zone to see if I can pin point things with an error code.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Cheryl

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stuck in Park!

I fixed it, yeah! It wasn't the brake light switch though I learned how to change it so I have a new one. It was the #10 fuse. It amazes me that it was that simple. Thanks again to all who tried to help. I learned a lot.

Cheryl

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I tried some of those Fuses that light up in 2005. They worked, and never had one blow. So I can not say that it worked as advertised. This was what enticed me into trying them at the time. I had trouble finding the link.

This is the brand I tried .

Dom

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,942 Posts
First rule of troubleshooting is to identify ALL the symptoms before making a diagnosis or starting treatment.

Rarely will a problem have only one symptom, and only a hack mechanic, or a doctor, will try to cure a problem by treating symptoms.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Recently I've been having issues with mine going into gear and I'm fairly certain that it's being caused by a faulty brake switch. I say this because I have no brake lights, fuse is good(checked it with a meter) and if I press on the brake multiple times in succession and push/release on the switches plunger, I can get it to go into gear. I already have the switch which only cost me $5.58 and plan to install it fairly soon. I'll post results when I'm finished. :)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Just thought I'd post an update. I finally did get around to replacing my brake switch earlier today and just as I suspected, replacing it did fix my problem. To anyone who needs to replace theirs, let me just say it's an easy job and replacement only took me about ten minutes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello all - I'm having the same problem, but I have the check engine light on. Further, when driving, my transmission will not switch gears as it should, so when driving say 40mph the engine is sometimes reving at 4k rpms.

I can sometimes get it to switch up by quickly shifting to neutral, then back to drive.

earliest appointment I can get with a mech is about two weeks from now.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
Honda Element 2003 EX
10 Posts
There are so many of the Stuck In Park Posts, but this one fits what I think is my suspected scenario.
I recently replaced the battery, so I decided to check my fuses, because I knew I had at least one bad fuse.
Other than starting it up to put some air in some tricycle tires, I hadn't driven it since I pulled and checked the
fuses under the dash and under the hood.
When I went out to drive somewhere today, it was stuck in park. Haven't had any issues like this except once or twice while it was new in 2003, and one time later.
But this time, it's seriously stuck.
I suspected that it's probably a fuse, either I didn't get it seated back well, or removing it may have messed it up.
The post mentions Fuse 10, which is what I plan to investigate, before anything else.
Happy, that Honda had the foresight to put the key release in the elements, either way. It's been the best car I've ever owned so far. 18 years so far.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts