Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the essentials to keeping my 2006 Element goin for another 100000 miles and beyond?
so far
I've ;
-replaced
brakes/rotors 100,000
airfilter 80,000
tires 90,000
rear diff fluid 80,000
shocks 100,000
oil on a reg basis w/full synthetic evry 3000-8000 miles
and the right rear driveshaft that blew a few weeks ago, ( couldnt figure out why ).
I know I probably need to do plugs, tranny fluid, ......what else?
thanks!

·
Registered
816 Posts
plugs on the element are so simple,,10 min job,,,as well as the tranny fluid,,there is a great diy thread on the tranny fluid,,also very easy..good luck

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Hi,

I just bought an '04 last fall, w/127K on it.

Starting out w/a clean slate on it, I went and:

- had the valves adjusted and replaced the valve cover gasket
- had a complete tune-up, w/new wires and plugs
- replaced the entire power-train oil, including the engine's, and it's filter.
- replaced the air filter
- replaced the serpentine belt
- replaced the battery w/the highest CCA that I could find. (It still had the original battery, which was now 5 years old)
- replaced the brake fluid
- replaced the anti-freeze
- new windshield (dealer covered that)

Both the brakes and tires were OK, having both been just replaced. The clutch appeared to be OK, especially since the previous owner drove mostly highway w/it.

It wasn't soon after that I needed to replace both the belt tensioner and the alternator, both because of bearings.

Everything runs great now, w/essentially a new vehicle w/7K now driven on it. I haven't had to add any oil to it at all. I've been running Mobile 1 oil/filter in it.

I'll be driving in the mountains of the North Cascades w/it, on mostly logging roads, and camping. I hope to get a roof tent for it (Autohome).

With good maintenance, Honda's are known for going well above 250K miles, so that's why I spent the money on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Valve Clearance Adjustment

Hi,

My 2003 Element valves began making ticking noises at 120K miles, which seems to validate Honda's recommendation to have the valves adjusted at 110K. I had the plugs changed at the same time, with the dealer charging only $200 for the valve clearance adjustment.

Best money I ever spent - the i-VTEC is perfect, once again. Like having the engine "blueprinted." A valve clearance job is something most owners seem to be unaware of, or unwilling to finance. Next time you pull up to a crowded intersection, just listen to all of the old, ticking engines out there : )

Scott
Carmel, IN

·
Registered
139 Posts
What are the essentials to keeping my 2006 Element goin for another 100000 miles and beyond?
so far
I've ;
-replaced
brakes/rotors 100,000
airfilter 80,000
tires 90,000
rear diff fluid 80,000
shocks 100,000
and the right rear driveshaft that blew a few weeks ago, ( couldnt figure out why ).
thanks!
You've done more than I have on my 06 that has 176000+ on it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
so far
I've ;
-replaced
brakes/rotors 100,000
airfilter 80,000
tires 90,000
rear diff fluid 80,000
shocks 100,000
thanks!
Yes, spark plugs and tranny fluid. Add valve adjustment, coolant and brake fluid change as well, should be set then.

I've done everything you have, plus additional suspension wear components. We're at 155K miles on our 03 Element EX 4WD. We never had any CV shafts fail yet though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts