Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want the front cigarette lighter to stay on when I take the key out of the ignition.

I searched and searched the forums, but can't find the "how to".

If anyone can help, thanks!

- Kuren

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
That is cool. take some pictures while you are in there doing that if you can. would be great in addition to the diagrams. that is all i have access to :) and i personally done need it on mine or i would.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I mounted a 30amp 12v LED switch in my glove box similar as this link, but use following circuit diagram:

Switched Both Always On.jpg

This allow my both front & rear power outlet to be switched off when I don't need to use it, & switched on when I need them. I feel it is safer to ensure there is no power supplied to any power outlet unless the switch is turn on, than leave them on all the time.

Remember to remove 15amp fuse used for the front power outlet. If you leave the fuse in, it will draw power backward from battery through this link to all accessory/equipment turn on when ignition is on, even with no key inserted in ignition. This may caused potential electrical hazard due to potential wire current overload.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I forget the exact circumstance but one day I had something plugged into the rear 12v plug and decided to charge my phone in the front 12v socket with a loud, cheap Black & Decker converter. So I parked, shut off the engine, but the charger was still screaming away. I thought WTF? it is still working with the key out! So after a while I went to the back and unplugged the rear 12v device and the front charger shut off, plugged it back in and the front charger came back on. I never modified it or anything either.

This would be the ultimate Poor Man's solution.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
i dont know how that would be possible since the rear outlet is isolated from the front one with a relay that is only energized when the truck is on.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You are right. I shut off the engine but did not take the key out. That's what it was.
Sorry, it was a long time ago.
Since I had a loud converter, I had grown used to it shutting off when I turned off the engine. That's what freaked me out about the situation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts