Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a dumb question I know but I did look through the postings and everything just says to "loosen the radiator coolant valve" which makes me feel even worse that I can't get mine to loosen. I found it easily, it is a black plastic wingnut looking thing sticking out the back of the bottom of the radiator. I'm assuming it unscrews counterclockwise but I sure can't get it to budge. I haven't resorted to using a small pair of pliers yet as I figured I'd better make sure I'm correct before I manage to break the tabs off and really be in a pickle. It's a 2004 and I'm assuming it's never been opened and I'm just not twisting hard enough? Any hints or tips? I'm sure I can handle the coolant change myself, I hate to take it to the dealer and pay $90. I already bought two gallons of Honda coolant. Thanks!!

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,806 Posts
I would not mess with the drainplug there's a good chance it might leak afterwards.

What most techs do is disconnect the lower hose and let it drain that way.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
"Most techs" are interested in making the job go faster because time is money. Even cleaning up the resulting big mess, too, is faster. Using the drainc0ck is a pretty slow process, but whole bunches neater.

BTW, I've drained dozens of radiators using the "consumer" drain valve and haven't had a lick of trouble with leaks. Drainc0cks are real valves. Is this problem something you have experienced in the real world?

To answer the OP's question, you're going to have to use a Crescent wrench to (gently) get enough leverage on the valve handle tangs (make sure both are firmly being wrenched!) to turn it for the first time. Don't use common pliers, as the pressure is uneven and you risk breaking off a tang. Valve direction is normal - counterclockwise from the handle's vantage to open.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,806 Posts
"Most techs" are interested in making the job go faster because time is money. Even cleaning up the resulting big mess, too, is faster. Using the drainc0ck is a pretty slow process, but whole bunches neater.

BTW, I've drained dozens of radiators using the "consumer" drain valve and haven't had a lick of trouble with leaks. Drainc0cks are real valves. Is this problem something you have experienced in the real world?

To answer the OP's question, you're going to have to use a Crescent wrench to (gently) get enough leverage on the valve handle tangs (make sure both are firmly being wrenched!) to turn it for the first time. Don't use common pliers, as the pressure is uneven and you risk breaking off a tang. Valve direction is normal - counterclockwise from the handle's vantage to open.
To the OP..
Ignore this post, what do i know about cars; I dont know nuthin. After 32 years of wrenching I'm still just a greasemonkey.
Oh and by the way I have over 90k in tools and not one of them says 'Crescent' wrench..is that like a pipe wrench?

Dozens of radiators? l I lost count about 30 years ago

·
Registered
174 Posts
If possible I would pull the lower hose first, less chance of getting crap stuck in the drain valve. Drain valves can be a real mother to open and sometimes break.

chris

·
Registered
873 Posts
I broke my drain valve once.(the one on the radeator on my montaro peice of crap).then epoxyed a subaru key in it,worked great from then on.

·
Registered
873 Posts
To the OP..
Ignore this post, what do i know about cars; I dont know nuthin. After 32 years of wrenching I'm still just a greasemonkey.
Oh and by the way I have over 90k in tools and not one of them says 'Crescent' wrench..is that like a pipe wrench?

a cresent wrench isant a monkey or ford or a pipe wrench. it was made buy and desigined by cresent. it is also known by the name ajustable wrench.(no not justins table wrench) I still have one that says cressent on the wrench. where have you been hiding in nj to not of heard of a cresent wrench.I am from NJ and probly have 15 of them.I must make time to ponder on this one. I have only been wrenching about 44 years.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,806 Posts
a cresent wrench isant a monkey or ford or a pipe wrench. it was made buy and desigined by cresent. it is also known by the name ajustable wrench.(no not justins table wrench) I still have one that says cressent on the wrench. where have you been hiding in nj to not of heard of a cresent wrench.I am from NJ and probly have 15 of them.I must make time to ponder on this one. I have only been wrenching about 44 years.
If a 'Cresent wrench' is adjustable why do you have 15 of them?

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
To the OP..

If a 'Cresent wrench' is adjustable why do you have 15 of them?
What's with the 'tude, dude?

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,806 Posts
What's with the 'tude, dude?
I did not like your reply about "most techs". Next time someone is asking for tech advice, I will not post it here. My advice is based on 32 years of in the trenches working at dealerships. If my replies are too harsh and to the point I'm honestl'y sorry.

So, for the OP go ahead and twist off the drain plug thingy. I hope its seals ok when your done.

enough of this.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
I said "most techs" that way because "most techs" interested in protecting their paychecks will do common procedures the fastest way possible, which may not necessarily be best practice for a DIY'er. In this case, a DIY'er likely without a lift and a catch drum at the ready, where using the "pull the hose" technique from a bad angle on a creeper is asking for a face full of coolant. Also, here, we're not talking about vehicles with 15-20 years of poor maintenance with cooling systems full of crud just waiting to wedge in the drainc0ck the moment it's opened.

From a previous thread:
07lmnt said:
I did not ask for answer to my own statement.

Just offering advice about automatic transmissions

next time i will keep my '33 years of ASE certified' pie hole shut
To be brutally honest here, you do seem to have a problem with other knowledgeable advice which may or may not agree with your estimation of the proper solution. You are not the only one on the forum with serious car service experience. Every response that differs with yours should not be taken as a personal affront, but, rather, as additional insight on a solution or process, which includes solutions that might work better in shadetree mechanic settings.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,806 Posts
I said "most techs" that way because "most techs" interested in protecting their paychecks will do common procedures the fastest way possible, which may not necessarily be best practice for a DIY'er. In this case, a DIY'er likely without a lift and a catch drum at the ready, where using the "pull the hose" technique from a bad angle on a creeper is asking for a face full of coolant. Also, here, we're not talking about vehicles with 15-20 years of poor maintenance with cooling systems full of crud just waiting to wedge in the drainc0ck the moment it's opened.

From a previous thread:

To be brutally honest here, you do seem to have a problem with other knowledgeable advice which may or may not agree with your estimation of the proper solution. You are not the only one on the forum with serious car service experience. Every response that differs with yours should not be taken as a personal affront, but, rather, as additional insight on a solution or process, which includes solutions that might work better in shadetree mechanic settings.
Geez.. it's only a coolant flush.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I used pliers with a rag covering the grippers on the plier face. Really didn't take a lot of force to loosen the the valve.:smile:

And I'm a car repair dufus. :lol:

EDIT: Just loosen the valve. If you take it all the way out you"ll get an armful of coolant.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys!

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really didn't mean to start a firestorm. I'll proceed tomorrow morning but I'm not going to say which method as I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I truly appreciate the advice, I would not have thought of any of the suggestions myself!

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
:smile:
Thanks for all the advice guys, I really didn't mean to start a firestorm. I'll proceed tomorrow morning but I'm not going to say which method as I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I truly appreciate the advice, I would not have thought of any of the suggestions myself!
You are welcome to any help we can give.

Now be a good sport and fill in your PROFILE and LOCATION.:smile:

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
crescent wrench (yes using a trademark as a generic term, sue me).
Hand me a Kleenex. (tissue)
I need a Band Aid. (adhesive bandage)
You think I should put a Q-tip in my ear? (cotton swab)
Can you hand me the Vice Grips? (locking pliers)

If you are gonna get sued, I will get sued with ya!!!
You wont be in jail for trademark infringement alone!!!

:D

Oh, and in the immortal words of Rodney King:
"Can't we ALL just get along?????" :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts