Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all sorry to bother everyone but I finally got my Element on the road and it drives like a big 'ole truck and i do NOT like the way it handles ESPECIALLY over bumps!
Has anyone done any mods or part changes to drive a little nicer, especially around town

Going to have it looked over tomorrow so the mech will tell me shocks/struts and what needs to be replaced if anything but just
didnt know if that is how these things drive.

Also .. I don't like how long it takes for the car to stop... probably because I'm coming from a 2017 small hatchback .

Any help or links to prior threads are helpful. I really want to give this thing a chance but WOW, I can't stand the roughness of the drive around town, I feel like I'm driving a Uhaul rental around.
Is it just mine?

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,006 Posts
What kind of tires are you running? I recently changed to Cooper Evolution tires in the 225/75R16 size and they made a tremendous improvement in my ride quality. Here's the thread:

Some people here have recommended Gabriel struts. And if you are a DIYer at all, you can probably install the struts yourself. Here's the link and videos:

As to the brakes, if they are all in good condition throughout and if you are still not satisfied with the stopping power, some on this site have upgraded to some Acura brakes. Do a search, it has been discussed many times here.

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I downsized my wheels from 20" to 17" and got a set of 215/65R17 tires to go along with it last June when I availed a wheel and tire package. I've noticed positive changes to my rig. There's a decrease with the noise plus significant ease with its handling in both wet and dry conditions. If you want a more pleasant ride, you should consider having 16"-17" wheels first.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,006 Posts
@grandfischer @te1966 I have 215/70 R16 Generals
PS my back brakes squeel if I push hard on them, assuming the pads needs to be changed soon.
Also, anyone notice the discs in the front are larger than the rears or is it a figment of my imagination?
If you currently have 215/70R16 tires, changing to 225/75R16 tires will give you a considerably wider sidewall. I believe that is why I noticed a big improvement in my ride quality. And if your Generals are of an off road type, you may notice even more ride improvement going to a highway type tire.

Yes, worn brake pads will indeed squeal with a hard application of the brakes.

The brake specs are listed on this chart below from ramblerdan. I am quite sure they are the same on any year Element:

The chart says (and I confirmed this with a quick look through my 5 spoke EX wheels and a tape measure) 11.1 inch brake rotors on both the front and the rear.

However the calipers are larger and the pads and rotors have a much larger braking surface area on the front brakes. So that is the difference you are seeing from front to rear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts