Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove the panel that surrounds the subwoofer (2003). How do I get that off? Do you just pull out those plastic pins at the bottom corners? I don't want to break them.

What I am trying to do is mount a CB radio bracket in the space just above the subwoofer. I don't know if that is do-able but I need to take the panel off to see what is back there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Okay, I have time to explain this now...

First, let me tell you that the subwoofer "cover" (the perforated grille) and the surrounding panel is actually all one piece.

Two, the secret to removing the whole thing is getting those two plastic fasteners out. They are very clever two-piece mechanisms. They look like one piece but they are not.

The head of the fastener is 5/8" diameter. In the center of the head is a button 3/16" in diameter. Using any tool smaller than 3/16", push in on the button and depress it about 1/8" or so until it stops. You should then be able to pull the fastener right out.

Now the panel is held in by two spring clips at the top of the panel over the subwoofer. With both hands grab the bottom rear corners on both sides of the panel, in the area where you just removed the fasteners, and give it a quick jerk toward you. Wiggle and jerk it a couple of times and it will likely come out. If the panel doesn't come out completely, it will at least have probably opened a bit to were you can then get your fingers in above the subwoofer and pull there to release the spring clips. Once the tabs come out, just spread the sides of the panel and lift it up and out.

Watch out, there are numerous plastic indexing spikes on the rear of the panel. The ones in the area right over the subwoofer are very sharp. Proceed with caution when you put your fingers there.

To reinsert the two-piece plastic fasteners: spread the two prongs to unlock them and while holding them apart, push them back through the head of the fastener until until the "button" is protruding above the head. Reinsert the fastener into the panel and press the button flush to lock it in place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts