Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All these threads on stereo installs and i have not managed to find any decent advice on runnig amp power cables. I have only found two thread and they are virutally useless because they do not have pictures. they one that has pictures, the pictures do not display.

how has every one else routed their power cables from the battery through the firewall and into the cabin.

if possible please provide pictures.

·
Registered
890 Posts
grandsire2001 said:
All these threads on stereo installs and i have not managed to find any decent advice on runnig amp power cables. I have only found two thread and they are virutally useless because they do not have pictures. they one that has pictures, the pictures do not display.

how has every one else routed their power cables from the battery through the firewall and into the cabin. if possible please provide pictures.

Here you go. No need to poke thru the firewall. If you slide the driver's seat all the way back & get under to peer where the hood release cable goes, there's a rubber knockout plug slightly above and to the right of the grommet for the hood release cable. It's under part of the floor liner. Just remove the plug, replace w/a grommet and there's your route to the battery via the space in the left fender well.

The other option is to punch a hole through the rubber plug hiding in the foam-lined space behind the wiring cluster in the same area as the hood release latch, but option #1 is easier to access.

For an easier time routing your power cables, undo the panel clips that hold the left FRT fender cladding in place along the fender well. Then lift back the plastic part of the inner fender well (don't worry, can't damage it, it's plastic), and you'll have all the room you need to route your cables.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Nice post, K-Dogg. Thanks for detailing this. It has come up many times in the past and never has been answered this well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nothing beats the speed and agility of a 3/4" drillbit @ 4000rpms for running cable.... :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you

thank you for finally posting something relevant and good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank You

I got early this morning and wired my amp and sub. Thank you for your info and pics. You have saved me about 65 to 250 bucks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Power cable routing

Open the hood look at the gap that there is between the top of the inner wing and the outer wing near the battery, this is where you amp wires will be coming out shortly. Go back to the hood release panel and remove it, I think you have to remove the door seal. You will see a lovely black grommet just below the an imaginary line that runs back from the bottom of the dash. Pop this out (toward you) get a wire coat hanger or something similar, aim the hanger (with string attached) towards the gap you saw earlier, if you are running large gauge cable just thread it through. Hey presto you have you route past the fire wall. Carefully cable tie the powercable, put a hole through the grommet for the cable put the grommet back in its hole and you have a weather tight, away from the outside world, route for you power cable.

It is possible to do this single handed but having one person threading and one person receiving makes it really simple.

I routed some 4ga in my Element this way three years ago and have had no problems with it. Do make sure to cable tie the cable safely away from the edges of the panels under the hood.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Omg thanks for this post

This was the hardest part of my install! This was a life saver!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is there any other route? I already used that hole for my amp power cables. I wanted to install a power inverter that requires direct connect to the battery itself. I needed to use a pair of 2 gauge cables. Is there a similar hole on the passenger sides? Thanks...

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Is there any other route? I already used that hole for my amp power cables. I wanted to install a power inverter that requires direct connect to the battery itself. I needed to use a pair of 2 gauge cables. Is there a similar hole on the passenger sides? Thanks...
I just drilled straight thru. Here a picture from under the dash...I think it's where the clutch cable goes through on an MT.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I did that too. Is one of the bolt holes for the factory clutch pedal. I had just punched mine out though i didnt drill.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
when i got my amp installed by a shop, they drilled straight through to the engine bay near where the clutch pedal should be. they sealed up the hole with silicone around the wire loom.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ditto DAT! Here in 2019... I looked under the dash and scratched my head.... THEN I searched the forum and found the light, literally. If you pop the grommet out during the day, you will see daylight through the hole!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts