Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first I want to thank everyone on the forums for all the valuable information! You guys rock!

I have a starting problem. Engine turns over strong but wont start. No codes showing. I went ahead and replaced the crankshaft position sensor just in case, it wasn't that much $, still no start. I just replaced the plugs a month ago with the recommended NGK stock ones like everyone here recommends. Fuel pump is working and delivering the fuel like its supposed to.

It started when I was at the local honda dealer picking up some sway bar bushings yesterday. When I came out to leave it didn't want to start but after 4 or 5 tries it eventually started and off I went. It was idling rough at stop lights but never died to my last stop. Back in the element 3 hrs later... no start at all. (turned over just didnt start). Towed it home, started reading threads on the forum and trouble shooting.

How does one test the coils??? I just took the plug out, stuck it in the coil, laid it on the valve cover and turned engine over, no fire that I could tell on the plug at all. Shade-tree mech way of testing I know. Is there a way to test these things with an OHM meter or step by step thread how to?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Alan

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys thanks for the responses.

I was concerned with the coils because I was getting no spark... ( I would still like to know whats the procedure for testing them with an OHM meter)
voltage is good (new battery) new cables too, ALL filters have been replaced. iVtec valve cleaned and screen replaced too.
I just bought this element a month ago and have been going through it, apparently it's not been maintained well but I got it for a pretty good deal (I think) so I can afford to work on it if its reasonable. I've been wanting one of these for several years.
its a 2003 EX AWD with 165K

After researching hi and low on here. I decided to start with the crankshaft pos sensor. (strike one)

Next I replaced the camshaft position sensors. Found out real quick that the exhaust and intake are different. Replaced them both... Boom she started!!

While I was knee deep into this repair I went ahead and adjusted the valves. 2 of the exhaust were waaayyy too tight (.005). I've got all the exhaust set at .012 and the intake set at .009 now.

It never threw a code though.

I had replaced the spark plugs with the NGK iridiums like everyone here suggests gapped at .44 like OEM specs say about 4 weeks ago when I first got it. It has sputtered and hesitated ever since. After I got it started today it still didnt idle smooth. I just went ahead and replaced with bosch and it's purring like a kitten now.

I really appreciate all the input and willingness to help, this is the best forum EVER!

·
Registered
121 Posts
An ohm meter can test for continuity through an electrical circuit. Disconnect the coil from the wiring harness, then then touch your meter probes to the two power leads (polarity does not matter). If the meter shows any continuity, it's generally good.
It's odd that all four coils would dump on you all at once. How about a fuel sample? And super odd that it happened after parking at the dealer to buy some DIY parts. (I work at a dealer and we get blamed for everything.)

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hIP2bsq: Ironic huh??

Another question for you guys if you don't mind? Cold air intake? Worth the investment? This is my first ever Honda and Ive been reading up on them.

If yes, which one is a good one? Any recommendations?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts