Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm transferring across country soon and I plan on draggin my E (automatic tranny and AWD) behind my truck but I'm not sure the best way to do it. Cost wise, it's cheaper to rent a tow dolly that gets the front wheels off the ground but I'm sure a trailer that gets all the wheels off the ground would be the best for the car.

I'm looking for opinions and how to do it tips,

Thanks,
Patrick

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I believe your owners manual is quite explicit: 'Do not tow with just the front wheels off the ground'? (or just the rear for that matter). That applies whether they are lifted by the tow truck or on a dolly.

All the way off the ground is best. Older manuals talked about towing with all 4 wheels on the ground, but that requires a tow bar, which has to be installed behind the grill. We've talked about that in the context of towing behind an RV. But for you one-time use, the trailer is simplest.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
In the 03 manual there is a section for flat towing an 4WD. It gives detailed information on the proper procedure for towing.

NEVER TOW With ONE SET OF TIRES OFF THE GROUND.. Disconnecting the Drive shaft has been talked about. I have never seen a post that someone has successfully done it though.

Several threads on the site about this.
This is one.

Or search Toad, for more.

Dom

·
Registered
145 Posts
Best is with all 4 tires on trailer. Pull the car trailer with the moving van.
Absolutely never ever with 2 on ground and 2 on a dolly. You will destroy the 4wd mechanism.

Not sure if you can pull it with all 4 on ground. Full details in owner's manual I think.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I suspected, thanks for the help.

Why the hell is "toad" the word to search for? Does someone have a speech impediment???

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,817 Posts
I think it's another case of the thumbing down of Americans.

The first time I was it was to refer to a second vehicle that is towed behind a motorhome, not on a trailer. I guess it's now come to mean a second vehicle towed behind any other vehicle.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Why the hell is "toad" the word to search for? Does someone have a speech impediment???
As best I can tell a 'toad' is jargon for the car that is pulled behind a large RV. It is used for local trips when the RV is parked in the RV park. This is distinct from the tow vehicle when is used to pull an RV trailer.

A CRV is one of more popular toads.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
If you are towing the E for a long distance I would put it on a flatbed. You cannot tow it on a tow dolly without removing the rear driveshaft as you will do damage to the rear end. If you want to use a tow bar as others said there is instructions on how to tow the automatic type and you MUST follow the instructions. The other thing is find how much it would cost to have it shipped.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
As best I can tell a 'toad' is jargon for the car that is pulled behind a large RV. It is used for local trips when the RV is parked in the RV park. This is distinct from the tow vehicle when is used to pull an RV trailer.

A CRV is one of more popular toads.
Yeah , yeah, yeah, I completely forgot about that version , just another reason to love this site !
RUBY

·
Registered
203 Posts
Having been a tow truck driver and completeing the state towing certification I can tell you that yes all 4 should be off the ground. I laugh everytime I see a motorhome going down the road with a Jeep Cherokee, they always seem to be Jeeps...weird, with all four on the pavement towing in neutral. The transmission and rear differential are burning up in that scenario.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Cars or Jeeps being towed behind Motorhome have ether the transfer case put into neutral and have a driveshaft disconnect installed just so they don't burn up the transmission. Had my ordeal running a towing company also.:) Here is a link for one of those systems
http://www.remcotowing.com/node/7

1 - 12 of 12 Posts