Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't waxed my E yet but am wondering how to do the top? I'm not tall enough to reach it, I can stand in the doors and get some of it but not all.

Anyone crawl on top? Use a ladder?

Reddawg

·
Registered
91 Posts
Reddawg said:
Haven't waxed my E yet but am wondering how to do the top? I'm not tall enough to reach it, I can stand in the doors and get some of it but not all.

Anyone crawl on top? Use a ladder?

Reddawg
I am 6'1" and used a step ladder to wax the roof.
Not as fussy with the washing, waving a large bath towell will usually reach almost the entire roof.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have a rubbermaid toolbox that is also seat/step that works real well. This way i don't have to worry about a ladder falling onto the car and commiting suicide afterwards.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm 5' 10" and a two-step ladder allows me to reach a little over halfway across the top. This particular ladder is aluminum and has a hoop that doubles as a carry handle, and a stabilizer that you can lean your thighs against from the top step--never feel like the next event will be a bad fall (posting this remark is probably like a death sentence).

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have the side steps on mine. I step up on those with the doors open and can get about 1/2 reach accross the top, from the windshiled back to the skylight. Then, I step up on the rear bumper and do the area around the skylight. For something like waxing, I don't feel that comfortable with standing on the rear bumper for that long. The cover doesn't seem that sturdy. I might use a step ladder in that case. I did see one picture where someone was standing through their skylight. That might be a good way to wax the top of a good portion of your Element. Don't do the wet part of washing that way. Just the drying or the waxing and polishing maybe.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wax the top? What...where? It gets sprayed on when I drive through the car wash.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I use a 3 step step ladder. Very easy.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Although a stepstool does work, you may have to move around 4-5 times to reach all the spots if, like me, you've got less-than-lengthy arms. Or you can just pop the hatch and have at it, which also gives you a chance to treat the moonroof gasket with some Mequiars to keep it clean and well-sealing...

Rob

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Hang upside down from the trees !!! :lol:

·
Registered
783 Posts
rodaniel said:
Although a stepstool does work, you may have to move around 4-5 times to reach all the spots if, like me, you've got less-than-lengthy arms.
Ahh..the Tyranasaurus complex. There are a couple guys at Thursday night poker who suffer this as well. Always have to scoot the card and chips towards them when they need em.

*insert screeching/roaring here*

·
Registered
926 Posts
Thats the picture I was thinking of. Going to do that when I wax topside on mine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
rodaniel said:
Although a stepstool does work, you may have to move around 4-5 times to reach all the spots if, like me, you've got less-than-lengthy arms. Or you can just pop the hatch and have at it, which also gives you a chance to treat the moonroof gasket with some Mequiars to keep it clean and well-sealing...

Rob
There's little doubt about the overall convenience of the poptop method. There should be a warning, however, that many E owner have experienced a loud CRAAAACK when stading on the spare tire cover. I actually had this happen when the salesman was showing me how to work the hatch--'twas an awkward moment. Some EOC posts have suggested filling space around the spare tire with tarps, ropes, and whatnot to support the tire cover. As soon as I gather enough whatnot, I'll be waxing through the top too.:D

·
Registered
653 Posts
I was nervous about that too, BigEz, so I take the spare tire cover out and stand directly on the spare tire. A little awkward, but definitely workable and no cracked spare tire cover.

Rob

·
Registered
16 Posts
How to wax your roof, the E way.

I'm short compared to all these 6 foot plus giants with their step stools and what not, but I've found a good way to wash the roof.

BACK:
  1. weigh less than 375 pounds
  2. open the rear hatch
  3. lower the gate
  4. close the hatch
  5. stand on the gate and wash the back of the roof

PASSENGER'S SIDE:
  1. weigh less than 750 lbs. (including cargo)
  2. open the passenger side door
  3. pull yourself up using the overhead handle
  4. avoid dripping on the interior by putting your mit on top of the car before opening the rear
  5. stand on the side and wash the roof

The drivers side is the same as the passenger side except there's no overhead handle. Still, it's not too bad as long as you keep your shoes soap free.

[Getting down, closing up and rinsing is left as an exercise for the reader.] :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts