Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This diagram is ONLY for the SC, EX, and EX-P with the factory double-DIN radio, amplifier, and subwoofer. This is NOT for the DX or LX.

The first picture shows how the radio is basically wired from Honda. The radio puts out a line-level(low-level) signal to the amplifier thru the big black harness. It puts out a mono signal for the subwoofer via the small black harness with white guts. The amplifier then sends the amplified signal out to the speakers and subwoofer. Note the sub is dual voice coil but uses a mono signal.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
To hook up the radio to the factory sub, you will need a male RCA plug to splice into the small black subwoofer harness. The easiest way to do this is take an old RCA cable, cut off an end and strip back the wires. On most cables there is an outer shield which is the negative, and a center conductor which goes to the pin for positive.

The diagram pic shows how an aftermarket radio would be hooked up. Metra makes a harness (70-1725) which allows you to hook the radio's RCA outputs to the facory harness (more on this later). You will also need an antenna adapter.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
For the subwoofer connection, splice the RCA's negative wire to the red with white stripe on the subwoofer harness. Then splice the center (positve) conductor to the red with blue stripe. The pink with black stripe does not get hooked up. Since the signal is mono, you don't have to hook up both channels to the radio output unless you just want to.

Splicing the wires could be done several ways...you could just strip back some of the insulation behind the connector, wrap the RCA's wires around the bare conductor, then solder and tape. Another option would to use t-taps which you can buy at most auto parts stores. T-taps clamp onto the wire and when squeezed with pliers, a small blade pierces the insulation to complete the connection. Another option (not recommended if still under warranty) is to simply clip the black connector off and splice the wires directly.

The Metra harness mentioned earlier makes life so much easier, however any aftermarket wiring harness will do. You will just have to put male RCA plugs on all of the input wires.

If your radio doesn't have RCA outputs, you will have to install a line-level converter on the radio's speaker outputs. This will convert the high-level speaker outputs to line-level to go to the Honda amp.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
A good point was brought up in another thread. You could just run the highs off of the radio output and run the sub off the facory amp if you wanted to. Either run new wires to the speaker locations or splice into them at the amp outputs. The amp is located behind the passenger-side kickpanel. See here for the amp's wiring color code.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Dude, thank god!!! This needs to be stickied...IMMEDIATELY!!! The only thing I would say is that I don't condone the use of t-taps, but to each their own. This should answer a lot of questions in the future, nice job.

·
Registered
349 Posts
What if your speakers are running off your harness and the back of the deck is as follows.
-----------F----R
L---O-----O----O
R---O-----O----O
--AUX IN

Where do I plug my sub into? Or do I need a line level converter?

Thanks

·
Registered
242 Posts
Great writeup!!!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
What if your speakers are running off your harness and the back of the deck is as follows.
-----------F----R
L---O-----O----O
R---O-----O----O
--AUX IN

Where do I plug my sub into? Or do I need a line level converter?

Thanks
You can use either the front or rear rca outputs of the headunit, depends on how you want the sub to fade (if at all) Also, you will not have a sub "volume control" with this set-up. Also, (and BigAl might have the answer) not sure if the factory amp is has a built in crossover or if it was in the stock headunit.

·
Registered
349 Posts
You can use either the front or rear rca outputs of the headunit, depends on how you want the sub to fade (if at all) Also, you will not have a sub "volume control" with this set-up. Also, (and BigAl might have the answer) not sure if the factory amp is has a built in crossover or if it was in the stock headunit.
So no line level converter needed?

·
Registered
349 Posts
My new HU has no RCA's Labeled SUB out. Just RCA's for Aux, speakers and video.

Should I install a line level like bellow and connect the sub as discribed by the OP into the front outputs?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My new HU has no RCA's Labeled SUB out. Just RCA's for Aux, speakers and video.

Should I install a line level like bellow and connect the sub as discribed by the OP into the front outputs?
What model radio do you have? I don't know if the factory amp has a built in crossover so you might have to install one if your radio doesn't have one built-in.

·
Registered
349 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In your particular case, you don't need a line-level converter since it has RCA outputs. Your unit, however doesn't have sub outs so you will need to 'Y' off of one of the channels and install an in-line crossover to cut out the high frequencies. You could use something as simple as an F-Mod in-line (easy), or you could go with something with adjustment. http://www.crutchfield.com/g_82600/Crossovers.html?tp=117

Attachments

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Wow, a $500 head unit that doesn't have a sub out on it :confused: I personally don't see the need to do what your diagram is suggesting. If your not using the RCA outs that come with the head unit to power the factory amp, why pay for another part to accomplish what is already provided. My only concern is whether or not there is a crossover built into the factory amp.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've got an idea...My Pioneer radio has the x-over built in. I will play it with the x-over turned on and then turn it off. If the sub starts playing full-range, then I will know that the amp doesn't have one built in. It's raining right now so give me a few minutes...

1 - 20 of 231 Posts