Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HUMBOLDT REDWOODS STATE PARK EOC MINI TRIP
July 11 ~ 14 (3 nights in the gem of a place).

Williams Grove is a mile or so north of Myers Flat on Avenue of the Giants.

45 miles south of Eureka (along the Avenue of the Giants) and 20 miles north of Garberville.

Williams Grove Group Camp is limited to 20 cars

This is a no brainier, the group camp has been reserved and paid for in advance, thanks to MTBecamper77 (Nick).

The more we get to sign up the cheaper the event gets (cost was $608 and for 10 cars that brings it to aprox $60 per car) If we get more cars the better the rate.

If you want a trip for a long weekend here you are!

If you want to make it a more extended trip that you can do as well. Perhaps we can even come up with a 2nd option for camping earlier in the week elsewhere There are tons are great camping areas up this way. I believe some may want this option from what I hear.

* 53,000 acres of Magnificent California Redwoods
* 17,000 acres of Old Growth Coastal Redwoods
* 32 mile "Avenue of the Giants" Auto Tour
* World's Tallest Know Tree "Stratosphere Giant" 370 Feet
* Camp Among Giant Cathedrals of Redwood Groves
* Surf, Fish, Hike California's Legendary "Lost Coast"
* Hidden Shelter Cove
* Black Sand Beaches
* Drive on to the Beach and Hang Out for the Day*
* Cape Mendocino
* Punta Gorda Lighthouse Ruins
* Salt Water Rock Fishing
* River Fishing
* Swim the Holy Waters of the Eel River
* Kayaking: Ocean & River
* Hiking
* Biking

Thanks to Dave for some of the pictures I will post of the party area and info from Gene from a prior trip.

More to come...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
The Mrs. and I were looking for something kewl to do.
As part of a Cali vacation plan, a trip to the enchanted land of Giant Trees and Ewoks would work just fine for us.

Just need to secure the dates w/Richelle's work and we're in! :grin:

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
So excited

I am so glad we went ahead and added this EOC trip this year. It's the one I'm most sad about not attending in the past. It will also be one last nice trip to the redwoods before I move away from California. If your into mountain biking they have an amazing ride in the King Range that I will be riding at least twice. It's called Paradise Royal Mountain Bike Trail. It starts from Tolken Campground and is a 12 mile one way MTB right of way trial carved into the middle of nowhere. the loop is a great climb and amazing decent. They also have a skills park at the campground with 3 downhill runs a varying difficulty. There are only about 300 feet each but all tabletops and rollers with big berms and some really well built wall rides and jumps. A new section may even be open. I know they have been working on expanding it. Not beginner stuff, but plenty of easy trails through the redwoods near camp I'm sure.

Hoping to see many of you again and looking forward to anyone new coming. Death Valley was a great crew you will have fun, but a group site in the Redwoods, priceless. Or in this case $608. The more we have the cheaper it become s for all of us. Let's do this, can't wait.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
MTBecamper77 - Thank you for doing this!

This is a primo, sprawling, very private, group camp inside an Old Growth (never been cut) Redwood Grove alongside the Eel River.
The nearest campers to us are miles away.
The last time we were here, we were swimming with a family of River Otters who nested there.
The water wasn't deep (only chest high in places) but it was deep and cool enough to enjoy spending hours splashing and refreshing.
And those Otter pups were a hoot!

Looking forward to going back. :grin:

PS: In 2000 The Stratosphere Giant was discovered and formally given the title as the World's Tallest Tree at 368.6 ft.
It has since been out grown by the more recently discovered (in 2006) Hyperion Giant which stands at a wopping 379.3 ft!

Unlike the Stratosphere, Hyperion's location is kept secret to keep it protected from people.
There is no doubt in the minds of Naturalists and others that there are Redwoods taller than 400 ft in this part of the world, but they have yet to be discovered.

Perhaps you may of seen it already.. Hyperion was featured on the cover of National Geographic a few years back.

Check this out!>>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNjl27npor0

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I DEFINITELY want in on this Humboldt trip!!! Please keep me in the loop and when/how payment can be made. [email protected]
Consider it done, you are in and lots of room for many. With being able to have 20 cars (unlike some camping I have done in groups) that opens it up to a lot of folks to be able to come. There is open placement of tents so you can pick any spot that suits you, some have a river view.

This is going to be very well attended, I can't wait.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Count me in!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Consider it done, you are in and lots of room for many. With being able to have 20 cars (unlike some camping I have done in groups) that opens it up to a lot of folks to be able to come. There is open placement of tents so you can pick any spot that suits you, some have a river view.

This is going to be very well attended, I can't wait.

Thanks!!! I'll be sure to pick up a few Growler of beer from some of the local breweries along the way!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm pretty sure you can count us in. My birthday is in July and this is just the way I'd like to celebrate!
Yipee! So happy you can join, I was going to send you a email to alert you as I know you will love this trip! I have a birthday a few days after the event so we can add birthday events to the fun.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Gene and Rochelle, my fingers are crossed that Rochelle gets time off, you have to come get the smell of Redwoods in the air.
Yes indeed. Those trees smell like incense! :)

As far as Richelle goes.. it's just a matter of getting the dates OK'd.
She's pretty sure it will happen, but being cautious, she wanted to wait until she gets back to work on Monday to finalize it.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Mel, Please count Jean & I in. We love camping in the Redwoods. Not sure about the dogs yet, but we'll be there. Are we reserving the entire Williams Campground as in the past or are we doing an individual Campsites ?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mel, Please count Jean & I in. We love camping in the Redwoods. Not sure about the dogs yet, but we'll be there. Are we reserving the entire Williams Campground as in the past or are we doing an individual Campsites ?
Great, it will be so nice to see you both again.

The site has 2 campgrounds. A and B. The 1st trip we had A and the 2nd trip we had B (but we got lucky and there was no one in A so we took over the whole place). This trip we have B, it is the larger of the 2 and has the great bbq pit and tables. I see that on Friday we will have no neighbors but will on Sat and Sun. The spread as you may recall is find a place and claim it, no designated sports (and all are good ones).

1 - 20 of 234 Posts