Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the latest from Indy!

The Army provided no new money for the Humvee in the service's recent budget proposal. Lt. Col. Jimmie Cummings, an Army spokesman, says the 2,620 vehicles ordered from Mishawaka, Ind.-based AM General will be the last as the Army moves on to newer designs.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yeah at the end it said GM is thinking about selling it to a Chinese manufacturer.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
The Ripsaw is schweeeeet!!!!!! :035:

·
Registered
8,753 Posts

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
The Ripsaw is schweeeeet!!!!!! :035:
Did you see the ATV version of it? OMFG DO WANT!!!

Two different companies. What GM was planning on selling to a Chinese manufacturer is the consumer end of the Hummer business (H2 and H3). AM General makes the HUMVEE which had been sold at first as the H1 but has not been made for several years.
Wasn't Oshkosh Truck involved in that in some way or am I think of something else?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The Ripsaw MS1 is cool ! Twi, The MS1 is Unmanned.
The MS2 has controls you can use!

But I don't think it's in contention for the hummers replacement.

one of the other Howe & Howe tech trucks is though.

It's a revised SR-1 .

Dom

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Kinda sad, is this true?..
Yup. I worked in the Hummer plant making the mil versions for several years back when the production first boomed - made bodies, worked as a general repairman, ran a hoist, did about everything except work in the pits. The vehicle had good points and some fool bad ones too but most of all, it was supposed to be extra lightweight so more of them could fit in a cargo plane for deployment and it was supposed to be capable of tossing it out of a low flying plane over a runway with nothing more than a small chute on the rear bumper to keep it going straight.

The first thing that happened was that it got a supplemental armor kit that ran the weight up past the cargo plane limits and an awful lot of them were put together without enough glue in the joints so that the runways ended up littered with bouncing Hummer pieces. The aluminum body gave you about as much protection from flak and small arms fire as a fine canvas soft top.

We had problems with defective brake pedals (they broke off if you stomped on it) and batches of counterfeit bolts (too soft), bullet proof glass panels that shattered in the Sun, bad batches of batteries and self igniting wiring looms among various other issues, but all in all, it was an excellent vehicle for what it was called to do.

Maybe the most humorous problem stemmed from the automatic transmission's lack of a "Park" position. Quite a few Humvee's took damage after officers started driving them, would put it in park and get out, and then watch their vehicle roll away. Those aluminum bodies didn't stand up to many bumps or collisions and that expensive winch on the front had NO protection from impacts whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,522 Posts
Yea, kinda sad, spent many hours in them..... :-(

I thought the MRAP was a possible replacement.... the Marines already have them.....:shock:8)8)

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
i loved when the magic boxes went bad and they would randomly start on their own and the starters melted down b/c they stayed engaged. replaced plenty of those reliable 6.2 engines, hundreds of starters and alternators, learned how to change a flex plate without removing an engine or trans. remove all the bolts, pry the engine and trans apart and wedge them apart with two brass punches be careful they don't pop out while you change it with an open end wrench. good times.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yea, kinda sad, spent many hours in them..... :-(

I thought the MRAP was a possible replacement.... the Marines already have them.....:shock:8)8)
yeah MRAPS replaced them for the army too, well, at least in iraq. we're phasing out the HMMWVs and replacing them with the MRAPS, Maxpros (pictured in Alaskan's post) Caimans, RG33s etc. so much safer (in an armor perspective). roomy too. haha i named mine Bertha.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
The Ripsaw MS1 is cool ! Twi, The MS1 is Unmanned.
The MS2 has controls you can use!

But I don't think it's in contention for the hummers replacement.

one of the other Howe & Howe tech trucks is though.

It's a revised SR-1 .

Dom
Yup MS2 is what I meant. Though I still want the ATV version of it!

And from what I can see the SR1 is only replacing Humvees in mining operations, not military ones. Still very cool though!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And from what I can see the SR1 is only replacing Humvees in mining operations, not military ones. Still very cool though!

The revised SR1 is an armor plated version. I'll see if I can get some Photo's Next time I go by the shop.

Dom

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hate you. And I want a tour.

:razz:

Never mind the tour! I want to be there on range testing day!

I'd love to see stuff getting Hit by .50 cal ammo and then blown up with plastic!

Dom

·
Registered
590 Posts
i loved playing with plastic, used to do vehicle support for the scouts on Hood and go blow sh*t up for "familiarization fire" exercises. no qualification, just go blow stuff up to get used to working with it. that and the MK19 40mm autmatic grenade launcher were my favorite.

·
12,179 Posts
It would appear not that unless a last minute buyer is found that Hummer is officially dead after the Chinese govt rejected a bid from Sichuan Tengzhong to buy the brand.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
It will probably go to India then.:grin: If I am correct didn't GM buy out AM General a few years back?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts