Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to use the cash for clunker for my next vehicle purchase. I like to do a lot outdoor activities so these two choice of vehicles will meet my needs. The practicle side of me says go for the Honda Element, better gas mileage, and its cheaper. The can go anywhere FJ is also difficult to ignore.... decisions, decisions!!!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Will you be taking a lot of stuff with you? The FJ is big on the outside, but has very little usable space on the inside compared to the cavernous Element.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I was in the same boat.
6 cylinder engine vs 4
off road ready vs off road not so much
big outside/little inside vs big on outside AND inside
big price tag vs not so big price tag

Now, true, the FJ did ride a bit nicer and quieter than the E, but I was sold by the toaster. Plus the money I saved by going with the E over the FJ came in handy.

How much actual off roading are you looking at doing? If it's substantial, you may want to look at something with beefier tires and a real functional 4WD system. That being said, NOT the E.

Occasional light (let me emphasize LIGHT) off roading, go with the E.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I second what Maximo said, lot better off road capabilities, but
a lot less room to bring your stuff. And judging by a coworkers FJ's
broken windshields, one of the same problem as the E.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I like both of them actually. But what DID NOT sell me on the FJ cruiser was the shape, the oblong windows and the (from the looks of it) the blind in the rear looks HUGE, and the wheel on the back of the hinge (not hatch) door. Call me fickle, but I never liked spare wheels on the backs of cars. I prefer the hatch/tailgate combo than the swing open door. SOLD-ELEMENT.

·
Registered
189 Posts
What are you trading in? To get $3500 toward the FJ with the CFC program you would need something that only averages 15 mpgs and to get $4500 it would be 12 mpgs because the FJ only averages 17 combined. ( you need to better what you trade by at least 2 mpgs for the lower amount and 5 mpg's for the higher on a class 1 truck) + the E runs on regular and the FJ takes premium so you are talking .20 cents per gallon for the life of the rig as well.

If you are an avid off roader the the FJ wins but for all others I think the E is the best choice...you understand that's just my 2 cents!:)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yup, my 06 v6 tacoma ran noticeably different with regular fuel. Once you get used to how it runs on premium, it's hard to put regular back in it. And I NEVER got more that 20 mpg, that was on a 800 mile drive to Tahoe. 16-17 was the norm.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I considered the FJ since it really did not seem to be more expensive than the E. I then did a build on the Toyota website and once you add pretty basic features I was at 30k+. After that I was like no way....too expensive!!

John

·
Registered
469 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
MY buddy just replaced his Vette that he wrecked with an FJ. He loves it! But he says the mileage sucks, plus hitest gas, and the rear seat legroom is nil. Also, I saw how poor the rear view is...lots of blindspots

......but ......it looks COOL :)

·
Registered
895 Posts
I think it also depends on what kinds of recreation you do and will this be your primary car.
I do a LOT of out door recreation and even after having an '85 Toyota pickup which had serious off road capability I realized that I could get anywhere I needed to go with an AWD vehicle instead of 4x4, and if I couldn't I would walk.

Advantages of the FJ Cruiser would be it's towing capability, (the E only can legally tow 1500 lbs), it can carry 5 people (the E can only carry 4), it's true off road capability (the E can handle very nasty roads though) and more creature comforts can be found on the FJ (but the E is very comfortable and has all of the comforts you'd want or need.

All that said, I really like the idea of the FJ Cruiser, especially since I come from a Landcruiser family. But with the usability, practicality, comfort and fun of the E I have never once regretted getting it.
Just remember, the newness and style will wear off of any car but you will be constantly reminded of the car's comfort, quality, ability and utility.

·
Registered
895 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
I want to use the cash for clunker for my next vehicle purchase. I like to do a lot outdoor activities so these two choice of vehicles will meet my needs. The practicle side of me says go for the Honda Element, better gas mileage, and its cheaper. The can go anywhere FJ is also difficult to ignore.... decisions, decisions!!!!
Some friends have an FJ and they love it. I rode in it once, thought the front seat was kiinda cramped and uncomfortable. The E is roomy and seats are comfy, with adult sized legroom in the back. I agree-I think the E's 4WD capability is underrated-it just needs more ground clearance. I think you need to decide if the off road capability is more what you're after or the room. For me, it was the room. I've been the off road/4WD low range route before. Don't need it any more. I just want to go on back roads, and the E can do that!

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Small 6" rocks sticking out of a dirt road give me the heebie geebies in the E. That plastic fuel tank under the driver's seat being protected by nothing more than a bar doesn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling either.
I don't think the fuel tank is under the drivers seat. Back toward the rear of the Element Just saying to avoid any confusion.:cool:

EDIT: Any gasoline powered car has to have a fuel tank. Where would you put it?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts