Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's taken 2 months to get all my equipment installed in my 2009 LX E.
But I finished this afternoon.

I've increased the gvw a bit but it still seems to ride well.

Take a look.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
And a bonus side effect is with that much radiation you can moonlight giving CAT scans at the local clinic! :razz:

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Here you go with a topside view.

(What's sad is that this is my vehicle. What's not quite so sad is that none of them are actually installed. It was just a WTF!??! for when the wife got home from work.)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Don't tell me, I know, your favorite movie is Overboard! :grin:

So tell me, When are you going to install steering wheel radio controls?
I just have to see that !

Dom

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
don't need steering wheel controls

don't need a steering wheel anyway.
After I turned all the radios on there's such a drag on the alternator/battery, she won't go anywhere anyway!

Plus I gained some weight and don't fit anymore.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Wow! And all that was plugged in with just one cigarette lighter outlet! I'm always impressed with the "I have all the electronics in the world" mod. :roll:

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Plus I gained some weight and don't fit anymore.

After crawling around in that little car installing all that stuff, you should weigh about 97 pounds!

Dom

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
After crawling around in that little car installing all that stuff, you should weigh about 97 pounds!

Dom
Anyone have a guess what kind of car that actually is ?? I'm thinking a mid 90's mini-truck of some sort ? :?

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
I saw this online awhile ago.
There was an explanation for it.
Can anyone guess?
I don't have to guess. Not only do I know exactly what it's about, I'm relatively sure I've met the guy. I used to be one of 'em. :|

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
There is a strictly experimental specialty within ham radio called "VHF/UHF DX'ing". Or, translated: point-to-point communications over long distances at radio frequencies not normally capable of this. It's sort of like trying to pick-up an FM radio station from a town 200-300 miles away, 'cept these guys are doing it in multiple frequency bands, from near TV Channel 2 (50 MHz) to microwaves (10 GHz) and higher.

Several times a year they have "contests", which is basically an excuse to get everybody on the air during a designated period. The object is to collect as many confirmed 2-way communications as they can, on as many frequency bands as they can, between as many locations as they can. It's very challenging, both logistically and technically.

Most of the time they do this from home-based stations, but guys like the one with that Subaru operate "rovers". Their task is to drive to places where there is nobody else with a home station so the "grid square" - a coordinated map square, basically - can be added to the contest participants' scores. The Subaru is a popular platform for this because rover work usually involves off-roading to mountain tops on very poor access roads.

Looking at the picture, this guy is covering what we euphemistically call "DC to daylight" - a very broad range of frequencies. I see at least 7 different bands not including the dish, and it is probably setup to handle at least three bands up to 24 GHz.

FWIW, noting the tag, California has more hams per capita than any other state.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
For some reason Mike reminds me of the Wierd Al movie UHF.;-)

"I'm on a Mexican radio...."

·
Registered
836 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts