Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.smarthondadesmoines.com/...s-Moines-fc8fdd5c0a0a00e00077bcd596cb1c8b.htm

Here is the 2008 Element EX I found that I like. Obviously the dealer has the price way too high right now. I am just concerned about the 2008 brake issues. The vin number for this vehicle did fall into the vehicles that received a recall for the VSA Modulator-Control Unit. I guess the "fix" was just a plastic cap glued over the area. Should I still be interested or keep looking? Also, for this vehicle, I'm thinking 18k would be a reasonable price. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I have one of the vehicles that got the "plastic caps". If the fix is done properly, the brakes are the same as any other Element - spongy but functional. From what I'm hearing after talking to two different dealers here is that it's common for the dealer to cut repair time by NOT running the ABS system during the brake bleeding part of this repair, which leaves you pretty much the same way it was when you took it in. My dealer did this and I had to have the system bled again properly at my own expense to get it working right. Local dealer has an '08 LX model at $16.8k if you want to compare.

http://basneyhonda.com/preowned-inventory/2008_HONDA_ELEMENT_MISHAWAKA_5J6YH18338L005598.aspx

BTW, just to put in a plug for my local Honda dealer... BASNEY HONDA, South Bend, Indiana - when you just don't care if it's done right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
http://www.smarthondadesmoines.com/...s-Moines-fc8fdd5c0a0a00e00077bcd596cb1c8b.htm

Here is the 2008 Element EX I found that I like. Obviously the dealer has the price way too high right now. I am just concerned about the 2008 brake issues. The vin number for this vehicle did fall into the vehicles that received a recall for the VSA Modulator-Control Unit. I guess the "fix" was just a plastic cap glued over the area. Should I still be interested or keep looking? Also, for this vehicle, I'm thinking 18k would be a reasonable price. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Where did you go to check the VIN number for the brake issue recall?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Brake Recall

Once the brake issue is addressed, the brakes work great.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Once the brake issue is addressed, the brakes work great.
How bad do the brakes get anyway? Is this even an issue to distract me from buying a 2007 or 2008 Element? According to Consumer Reports, this is the only bad thing about these years. Everything else is reported as the same or better than previous years. :?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
How bad do the brakes get anyway? Is this even an issue to distract me from buying a 2007 or 2008 Element? According to Consumer Reports, this is the only bad thing about these years. Everything else is reported as the same or better than previous years. :?
The brake lines get air in them. If it's bad enough (mine was) then the brake pedal can go all the way to the floor without leaving enough braking to stop. Believe me, you'll know if you have one in need of the work. If the work's already been done and you have brakes, don't worry about it. I sure wouldn't let this issue be a big concern over whether or not to buy an '08. In fact, I believe the '08 was the pinnacle of the Element line. It has the best of the safety features and none of the issues of the 09's and after.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
My 07 SC has the squishy brakes and is now at 143k miles. Ive just been between too busy and a noticeably busy dealer to bring it in. Its nothing horrid or damning, just squishy on the pedal feel.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The brake lines get air in them. If it's bad enough (mine was) then the brake pedal can go all the way to the floor without leaving enough braking to stop. Believe me, you'll know if you have one in need of the work. If the work's already been done and you have brakes, don't worry about it. I sure wouldn't let this issue be a big concern over whether or not to buy an '08. In fact, I believe the '08 was the pinnacle of the Element line. It has the best of the safety features and none of the issues of the 09's and after.
I just wanted to know if the "fix" really fixed anything. I really like the 2007/2008 models but I am one of those people that researches everything a ton before I buy. It's actually hard to find many for sale in Iowa.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I just wanted to know if the "fix" really fixed anything. I really like the 2007/2008 models but I am one of those people that researches everything a ton before I buy. It's actually hard to find many for sale in Iowa.
The fix, when done right, works great.

I had the fix done and noticed a difference. I've put about 20k on the car since the fix was performed and everything seems to be working properly.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Have you given it a test drive? Does the dealer have a non 07-08 E to compare it to?
My 07 got the recall letter, but since the brakes feel fine (no squishy) and I've read too many horror stories on here about the brake 'fix' not done right, I haven't had the procedure performed.
If I remember correctly, dealers have to perform the brake procedure if they sell that E.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,986 Posts
Have you given it a test drive? Does the dealer have a non 07-08 E to compare it to?
My 07 got the recall letter, but since the brakes feel fine (no squishy) and I've read too many horror stories on here about the brake 'fix' not done right, I haven't had the procedure performed.
If I remember correctly, dealers have to perform the brake procedure if they sell that E.
Same here brakes are fine, so have not had the recall done. I even tried to buy the caps to glue them on but they would not sell them.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never see an '05 or '06 Element for sale around here. I either have to be patient or go to another state. I find it funny that when looking at Cars.com, the same year and mileage Elements go for 2 to 3k less in Minnesota & Wisconsin than they do here in Iowa.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,986 Posts
I never see an '05 or '06 Element for sale around here. I either have to be patient or go to another state. I find it funny that when looking at Cars.com, the same year and mileage Elements go for 2 to 3k less in Minnesota & Wisconsin than they do here in Iowa.
Surly that has to do with the rust factor. They use tons of road salt there. I've seen many pics of 5 yr old vehicles that look like they were in sunk in the ocean for 100 yrs. The body panels might look good but the corrosion under the unibody and brake system is unreal.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Surly that has to do with the rust factor. They use tons of road salt there. I've seen many pics of 5 yr old vehicles that look like they were in sunk in the ocean for 100 yrs. The body panels might look good but the corrosion under the unibody and brake system is unreal.
They salt the roads here in Iowa all winter long as well. I am thinking that there are more of them so the prices are more competitively priced.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
The fix, when done right, works great.

I had the fix done and noticed a difference. I've put about 20k on the car since the fix was performed and everything seems to be working properly.
Agreed! When I took mine in, the brake pedal would be against the floor board during hard stops. After the fix, the "hard" stops actually stopped a lot faster and the brake pedal stopped just short of the floor. After I got the lines bled properly at a second dealer, the brakes were normal and haven't needed a bit of attention since then. Once the repair is done -properly- then it's good for life.

I figure that if you're looking at an '08 and it has brakes, the repair was either done or it didn't need it. The whole problem was caused by an air leak during the test phase on the ABS system (I think) that could suck air in to the lines. The plastic caps and glue plug the holes so no air can be sucked in - end of problem.

BTW I'd already had the entire assembly replaced prior to the "plastic cap" fix and the replacement part was just as faulty as the original one. The glue fixed it just fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts