Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or, at least i thought i did.

so the gf bought an 04 AWD element from a dealer a few months back. i couldnt go with her to check the car out, i was sick at the time :( i only briefly saw the car a few weeks before purchase

so, she brings the car home and i realize the front tires are warn a lot more than the rear tires are. i call and bitch to the dealership complaining the point that an AWD car should always have matching tires

after doing some research here, i realize the element isnt really a full time AWD car- that the power to the rear wheels only kick on when the car deems it necessary. still, the dealership should have at least rotated them...

so my question- i was planning on buying 4 brand new tires to avoid and diff failure, but learning that the AWD element is really 2wd most of the time.... put the good tires in the front and forget about it? or should i buy 4 new tires like i was planning on?

either way, i still feel kinds hosed by the dealer, i mean its a used car, but this is kinda rediculous...

thanks!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
You will find a lot of dealorships that will just sell the car with what its got. I myself would change all 4 tires as the replacements could be a different diameter and could cause the rear diff to work and burn out the clutches. If you only want to buy 2 them put the new ones next to the good old ones and make sure they are the same hight.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Not sure of the exact specs, but if you search a litle more you will find the info here on the board. If I remember correctly they dont have to be exactly the same from to back, though there is a percentage on difference that should not be exceeded. It may just be best to buy four new tires and make sure they are rotated to keep the wear even.

John

·
Registered
282 Posts
All AWD cars are 2 wheel most of the time.
And 99.999999% of true 4x4's are 2 wheel most of the time. They require you to shift into 4wd (or press a button).

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great guys, thanks. stupid honda dealership.

in good news, i found a set of oddessy steelies with brand new tires for $350 locally.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts