Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would crv rims fit? then i would get 225/75/15 tires ,now i would have a little more groung clearence and the ultimate offroad bonus of being able to air down the tires and still have decent ground clearence left.cool idea or no?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Oak Lawn Element said:
No idea if the CRV rims fit, but you can just add 235/70-16's all the way around and meet your ground clearance and off-road goals.
Please forgive my ignorance here. I had 235/70R16 tires on my Ranger & loved them. Are you saying that size will fit on my Element rims? What are the tradeoffs? Less room in the wheel well? You have piqued my interest....

What clearance have you achieved with your new tires? With the factory tires, they claim 6.9".

Thanks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
With those Dueler tires do you feel that road noise increases or decreases? Any rubbing with that size of tire? How much ground clearance do you gain? Those might be the way to go they look sharp!

B

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sorry it took so long to get back to you wr70beh, I have been on vacation--with the E!! :lol: I personally don't think with the duelers that I have had hardly any road noise increase or at least it has been minimal. I have absolutely NO rubbing, although if you take a close look it is a very close fit. Certainly no room to go any larger, especially if you have the mud flaps. In terms of ground clearance, I'm not really sure. I forgot to take a measurement before and after. But, I would say approximately an inch, probably a little less. And yeah, they do look great! The pictures don't do it justice! I couldn't believe how much the larger tires improved the total look of the E.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
If you bought this vehicle for off-roading you bought the wrong one.
This vehicle was not designed for anything but very mild stuff.

Kept my jeep for that purpose!

ORANGEE
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I most definitely bought mine for non-paved purposes...

On her first off road adventure, I thought she handled things very well, I just had to be a little more conscientious of the sixe of rocks or the depth of "potholes"

By the way, I'm running 235/70/R16 Toyo Open Country tires

no rubbing, the road noise DECREASED, but the ride is a bit stiffer...

see for yourself:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/219889/rockE.jpg

I have more pics posted under the Gallery thread

P.S. I kept my '79 F-150 with 34" tires for when I want to do some real stomping

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't think I could go true 4-wheelin' but did run it through a field of pretty mucky mud trying to see what would happen. No problems at all with handling. Now, getting all the mud out of the mudflaps--that was a problem! The mud flaps kind of have an odd design where all the mud goes into and up in a hole. Had mudflaps on my truck, but they were flat and didn't really hold onto all that mud.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sorry for my off-road ignorance (esp. as a Wrangler owner in a previous life), but the E owner manual kinda scared me about mentioning something to the effect that the transmission wasn't totally sealed and if you go thru deep water/mud, it could get in muck stuff up.

Anyone had any problems with that?

·
Registered
176 Posts
[quote:cc6f5dc5cb="aristoBrat"]Sorry for my off-road ignorance (esp. as a Wrangler owner in a previous life), but the E owner manual kinda scared me about mentioning something to the effect that the transmission wasn't totally sealed and if you go thru deep water/mud, it could get in muck stuff up.

Anyone had any problems with that?[/quote:cc6f5dc5cb]

i've driven thru a good 5-6" of water about a month or so ago (didnt look that deep until i got in the middle of it and felt a decent bit of traction loss, and my mud flaps started dragging), but havent noticed any ill effects yet.

i did read something mentioning that going thru deep water can mess up the factory-applied grease on the brake rotors, or something to that effect. i'm fairly sure it didnt mention transmission. hope that puts your mind at ease. i'm sure someone will take the time to go thru the manual and cite the specific paragraph :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
[quote:42687c08f8="ELMNTAL"]I haven't read that in the manual yet, but it doesn't make sense to me...if water or mud could get in, what keeps the transmission fluid from getting out?[/quote:42687c08f8]
OK, here's what I read .. :) page 204 in the Owners Manual

Driving through deep water can also damage your vehicle. The water can get into the transmission and differential, diluting the lubricant and causing an eventual failure. It can also wash the grease out of the wheel bearings.
Doesn't make me feel comfy going thru flooded roads around here anymore. :roll:

·
Registered
44 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by ELMNTAL
I haven't read that in the manual yet, but it doesn't make sense to me...if water or mud could get in, what keeps the transmission fluid from getting out?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, here's what I read .. page 204 in the Owners Manual

quote:
Driving through deep water can also damage your vehicle. The water can get into the transmission and differential, diluting the lubricant and causing an eventual failure. It can also wash the grease out of the wheel bearings.

Doesn't make me feel comfy going thru flooded roads around here anymore.
MOST vehicles are indeed designed in the same manor... Deep water can cause problems... In fact I know a greta many Dodge Ram owners, that run nicely lifted Dodges, that have problems with water fordging, why, because their transmissions are designed to "breath", just as ours are. Same with most defferental types... The lubrication, is for the most part a simple request at the dealership to Lube those specific parts... The only real reason the Manual says this is, so that you'd be informed, as well as if a breakage occured to any of those areas, such as bearings, they can say you caused it (and you pay for it)... It all takes preventive maintnance, regardless of what you drive... I however am not saying you should go forging a river, be reasonable...
Thanks,
Joe (GeepM) Bohannon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.