Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not own an E yet, but am very interested. I ve been reading the messages on the plastic body panels, went down to the dealer did alittle feild test of my own. The panels do scratch, its not hideous, but if your really anal about crap like that (like me) it would bug ya. The plastic doesnt really gouge just the textured surface really. But it does leave a mark that cant be rubbed out with any compound. My wife has a Jeep Grand Cherokee with similiar panels that are bullet proof. The E's are not. The long term problem with these panels would drive me nuts, everybodys talkin about it so there must be an issue. Not to mention that the panels on my Jeep are faded and stained, and i take real good care of that truck. Granted I've owned it new since 97, it still bothers me. Armor All rinses off with the first rain and nothing else really helps, onley short term. I see the same problems with the E, onley worse because almost the whole truck is clad in this stuff. I love all the other features on the vehicle, plus the way it looks. i also would like to know if ya can really fit a 10ft longboard inside it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The panes scratch with just a fingernail, but it's no biggie to me. If that's the worst thing about the car, I'll still go to bed thankful for it. Just got my Black EX 4WD yesterday, for $200 under MSRP from a wonderfully honest salesman whom I've followed from dealer to dealer!!! :D :D :D

As for getting a 10' board inside an E: I couldn't even fit my 9' in it!! :cry: The distance from dash to tailgate is about six inches less than that. Maybe the longboard would fit if I laid it on top of the dash and padded the nose with a towel, but then the driver couldn't see the right rear-view mirror, and there would be room for just one passenger - behind the driver.

It looks like racks are a must, and I'm waiting for Yakima to post news about an Element-compatible system. Apparently they've got one for last year's CR-V, and Thule's CR-V system works on the E with longer screws. So maybe it's logical to assume that the Yak CR-V system will work on the E.

The E is so bitchin'!!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
There are vehicles out there with durable composite on them - that' for sure. The formula used on the Element is not what they advertised - that's for sure.

Having said that, I can't name another car for 20K I'd rather have.

Maybe Honda will do the right thing and replace scratched panels until the second generation composite material is used on the factory line?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe by 10 ft longboard will fit stickin out the sunroof. It says in the brochure that a 10ft longboard will fit inside. I shoulda known it was b.s., I could just fit my 9'4'' in my buddies Aero Star. I my just stick with my Ford Ranger or at least wait till the E hype dies down, and they straighten some of these issues out (the panels).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts