Honda Element Owners Club banner

I like the standard arm rest!

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Slowhand 
#1 ·
I just wanted to say that I thought about getting the larger optional arm rest when I first got my E but because you had to do stuff that would make it irreverseable, I decided to hold off. Also I'm still hoping that someone (maybe Honda) will come out with a higher center console that would double as an armrest and give better storage (and still use emergency brake.)

While waiting for that day, I must say I've become quite attached to that little armrest. I can rest my head against the backrest and have both arms resting on the armrests and still have plenty of steering control. My leg still gets some of my right arm resting on it, but mostly it's the arm rest that is holding my weight.

:D

#2 ·
petelement,
i share your concerns about installing the optional armrest.
the standard one would be much better except for the fact that mine is angled about 10 degrees from horizontal toward the floor. it's just enough to be a nuisance.
do you--or anyone else--know if it's possible to adjust the angle on this to make it totally parallel to the floor?

#4 ·
Any armrest attached to a seat will have uncomfortable angles for at least some people because the angle of the armrest is affected by the angle of the seatback.

That being said, as soon as I put the larger armrest on - all the annoying crap I was putting up with when I had the stock armrest in just went away.

It just works.

BTW, why are you so concerned about putting the larger one in? Yes, it's a permanent mod but are you thinking that you're going to remove the larger armrest and put it in another car when you sell the Element some day? Or do you think it will hurt your resale value or something?

If you put a center console in, even the stock armrest would hit it when you flipped the seat forward unles you kept it in the upright position all the time. In other words, to put in a center console you'd likely want to remove it entirely and that would leave a hole that would need to be covered anyway.

I don't follow the logic there. :D

#5 ·
I like the standard armrest as well. And I like the low console. I don't want to feel like I sitting in a cocoon like so many SUVs do. My only complaint comes from passengers who want an armrest too. I wish Honda offered the same armrest for passengers. I don't want that big console armrest.

I have heard that you can install the standard armrest for the passenger, but upside down. How does that work? Do you have to drill a hole or what? If so, what size hole, and will a standard drill work?

#6 ·
[quote:d8da7f6ebb="E-Rich"]I have heard that you can install the standard armrest for the passenger, but upside down. How does that work? Do you have to drill a hole or what? If so, what size hole, and will a standard drill work?[/quote:d8da7f6ebb]

You don't even need a drill, apparently. The armrest mounts on a plate. On the passenger seat, the same plate is there, completely covered by the seat fabric. You just have to slit the fabric to expose the plate. (Note: you're on your own.)

#7 ·
[quote:0a1a392696="reedpc"]
You don't even need a drill, apparently. The armrest mounts on a plate. On the passenger seat, the same plate is there, completely covered by the seat fabric. You just have to slit the fabric to expose the plate. (Note: you're on your own.)[/quote:0a1a392696]

Strange they would put a hole on that side and not even offer the armrest as a option. Maybe it's the European version. Wonder if I could order a European armrest.

#9 ·
I jsut put a big arm rest in and it is the perfect solution!

Any one out there think that dinky small one is enough!!! Think again and think about the passenger!!! Now my wife has an arm rest too!!and when she drives I got one!! you can put the big one in any angle you want! and fold it and lock and take it out completely!

Sometimes bigger is better!

#10 ·
You don't even need a drill, apparently. The armrest mounts on a plate. On the passenger seat, the same plate is there, completely covered by the seat fabric. You just have to slit the fabric to expose the plate. (Note: you're on your own.)
The armrest plate on the driver side does not exist in the passenger side. There is a hole there but you will need to do a little modification. I will take pictures this weekend and post it for everyone to see what I am talking about.

John

#11 ·
[quote:c25f9daa32="E-Rich"]Strange they would put a hole on that side and not even offer the armrest as a option. Maybe it's the European version. Wonder if I could order a European armrest.[/quote:c25f9daa32]

Here is a good source for an additional armrest (and soon other Element
accessories) http://www.jjproducts.net/jjarmrest.htm The web site shows an armrest for the CR-V, but calling Jim confirms the availability of the E-rest.

#12 ·
[quote:215fee768d="nicolaasdb"]Any one out there think that dinky small one is enough!!!
Sometimes bigger is better![/quote:215fee768d]

I like the small armrest. I love being having the ability to get thru the front seats. My son, who sits in the back, gets out the front door every time. Sometimes smaller is better (for some people:D).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.