Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a true fan of my E. She is the best car or truck that I have ever owned. I got rid of a huge truck when I got her and and was glad. But now things are changing, and I am getting stuck. I needed to add a portable table saw to my traveling tool kit, and the E just can't do it for me, even with both rear seats out. I tried buying an old truck for the occasional trip or two, figuring it would be parked most of the time. The insurance, 12 mpg, and parking are killing me. I am thinking about selling the truck and the E and getting a 10 year old Odyssey and pulling out the second and third row of seats. My wife drives a Fit and loves it, so I can't give her the E. I am bummed, because I don't want to give up the AWD and I just flippin love the E in NYC.
Help me out. What am I missing? Does anyone own an Odyssey? Are the seats hard mounted? The new Ford Transit Connect seems like a wimpy step back from the E, and I don't see many other options.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Go to Harbor Frieght, Buy a small $200 trailer, the 40"x46", build a box with a flip down ramp/door to sit on the frame with that table saw, enjoy keeping your E for a lot less than what it would cost to sell yours and find another.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
The Ody has flip and fold seats, or whatever Honda calls them. They literally flip down into the floor and hide. Element has 74.6 cu ft of cargo behind the front seats. The Ody has 147.4 cu ft. But the Ody is a much larger vehicle and it is a MINIVAN! :lol: sorry. :)

What are you hauling that you can't fit it all inside the Element?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
751 Posts
What kind of table saw you trying to claim is portable? The table saw I have would easily fit in the E. The most I MIGHT have to do is separate the legs from the box the blade sits in.

Or is it that adding a table saw is the tipping point with everything else you already carry.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not just a tablesaw

well, here's the deal - I do have a small trailer for local plywood delivery. However, no one who works in NYC would ever suggest that as a solution to this problem . Impossible to put in a parking deck and too difficult to move around in the city.
The table saw is a Bosch Portable, and of course it is not the problem. Now add in the Makita compound miter saw, air compressor, 8 nailguns, 2 jigsaws, circ saw, 2 routers, belt sander, hoses, cords, router bits and blades, and it starts to pile up. Over the years I have struggled to constantly shrink the size of the individual items to the smallest possible, but let's remember this supplies 3 carpenters. Bigger jobs are no problem - the teamsters come to the house and take everything. It's these small gigs that are more lucrative that I am trying to cover now.
As far as the odyssey being a minivan, yeah, I know, but what am I gonna do? Maybe i can put some flames on it or something.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I can't imagine trying to park with a small trailer in NYC either so I hear ya on trying to keep everything in the E.
What about a roof cargo basket or shuttle box for all the lighter weight stuff? Or a hitch rack and cargo box?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I understand what your going through. After I retired, I worked for a contractor that updated ER/operating room electronics. Getting the tools and all the parts into the city was a nightmare! There is no good single solution. We wound up taking the tools in one car, then the Electronics in the E. We need secure storage in the city for some expensive equipment. We tried the rent a van thing. That works some of the time. But it does not cover all of the bases. It's expensive, even from Rent-A-wreck. We were just building it into the bid price. The overall cost of doing business I guess. We also tried and were able to get the hospitals to provide parking for us in the contract. But that is not always possible.

Dom

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
As sorry as it is to say, sounds like you've outgrown the E, your only option is to quit work and sell all your tools

In all honesty, a Fullsize cargo van sounds like your best bet
http://www.gmc.com/savana/cargo/index.jsp

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, the full size van is too much. The mileage is poor, and if I were to go that route i would just keep the f-150. If I lose the battle and have to give up the E, the Odyssey would probably be the winner. Remove the seats, add some plywood, etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ody's not a bad choice...

My Dad used an Odyssey from 02 - 07 for hauling lumber to his workshop for all his woodworking projects, as well as tools for when he did work at the church and friends' homes too. Served extremely well. in 07 he got an E,.. and for all the projects he wishes he still had the Ody to elminate the need for a trailer.

I have a 00' Ody that has given my wife and I 175K miles of problem-free family driving. I don't think it's a bad option for handyman work at all.

What about a Ridgeline? (or did I miss that part of the thread)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
We had a local handyman who lived down our street who hauled more than that in his E. He built a plywood shelf/platform with gas-pipe and collar legs he could slide in and out, at just about bottom window level, so he had his heavy stuff on the bottom, and lighter stuff on top. He also had a heavy-duty steel mesh dog barrier up against the back of the front seats, that he hung a lot of his tools, like his nailguns, hoses, etc. on. For some jobs, he added a hitch cargo carrier for a job-box or his big air compressor.

If I remember right (he passed last year at 94 and still working) his shelf system was just two pieces of 3/4 plywood cut to fit, joined together as sort of an open-sided "box" with six two-foot or so gas pipe and flange (home depot) legs bottom and top separating the two pieces of plywood.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Go check out the Ford Transit Connect. Tons of room (more than the E), good mileage, cheap to operate, and small enough to deal with the city really well.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I looked at the Transit Connect and I wasn't too impressed. The Odyssey with slight modifications would, I believe, be a better fit, and certainly cheaper. I'll buy one that is 10 years old. Hondas last forever. If I remove the front seat from the E I might fit everything, but then I can never have anyone with me. Now I use it for everything. I can empty the tools out, throw the three year old and the dog in, and head off somewhere.
I don't know, I'll have to think about this one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts