Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is a do-it-yourself board for us diy'rs who think they know it all. I tried to do it myself and wound up making it worse for me!! This is what happened; I took off the front middle bumper fascia (some call it the license plate holder) to install brackets for my new custom bumper guard that I had to design and construct myself because I am in a hurry for one and aftermarket shops do not have it yet. I located behind the fascia the steel bracket in front of the ac condenser that I needed to attach these brackets to with two already located holes that "only" need to be drilled bigger to attach securly the aformentioned brackets. I drilled out 3 holes with no problem, but the forth went thru very quickly and nailed the condenser. Immediatly, this loud HISSSS and volumns of white vapor billowed out!! After kicking myself, I went down to local Honda dealer and ordered the condenser, after having a tech check to see if that was all I needed. Ordered and prepaid for it to the tune of $390. When the unit comes in in a few days (they said) I'll make an appointment to have it installed. Gee whiz! Look how much I have saved, already, just by doing it "myself". (20/20 vision says I shoulda put a board behind it so the drill would have penetrated IT instead of the condenser)

Yes, I know......HINDSIGHT is 20/20!

Shaka!

Ger

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about what happened. I have the same type of luck with lots of stuff, and never seem to develop patience.

Good luck with the labor charge on the condenser.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Nice going Copper Top... just remember, there is no condenser...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alien.....OH? Why is it I asked the head Tech at the dealer what to get and he told me, then I asked the guy in parts what I needed and he looked it up on his puter and I saw the picture of it and all this came down to one word.....that funny radiator-looking thing in the very front that holds freon???

Oh Well

Ger

·
Registered
461 Posts
Maybe it's just that my husband and I just saw the new Matrix movie, but I thought Alien's comment was a take-off on "There is no spoon." Or was that just in the first Matrix movie?

Regardless, sorry about your E, Ger!

Kristi

SOP EX 4WD

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ouch! Sorry for your loss! :( I had a similar experience when I installed a leather steering wheel (from a Pilot)... rewound the SRS relay assembly cable too tight, snapped it right off on the first turn I made. We always hurt the ones we love...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ger - Really sorry for the goof -that one really smarts. However, to possible damage to the rest of your air-con components, seal up the hole with duct or electrical tape.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hate to be the straight guy in this act, but it's a ------- CONDENSER.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ger, were you trying to install a grille guard? If not, what type of cover did you make?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No O, I was installing a aluminum bumper guard on the front This looks like a big "H" on the front for protection, as the bare, square front just BEGS for something to protect it like the one on the CRV. Visualize this (for now, as I really need to take and post pictures of this rascal): Across the bottom where a bumper should be is a 3 inch dia. 1/4 in thick, 60 inch long round aluminum pipe going straight across from side to side. About 1/3 in on each side are 2 inch wide, 1/4 inch think, 2 feet long alum straps going up to hold a 2 inch dia alum pipe 2 feet long and welded to the inside of the straps, at front lip of hood level. In the middle is a alum angle going across from side to side (2 in by 2 in) to hold future Fog/Driving lights. This sits on a alum channel that is bolted to L brackets that are bolted to the brace/bumper behind the license plate mounted on the center fascia. The L brackets were what I was drilling a matching hole into to bolt the bracket to the brace/bumper when it went thru and hit the condenser behind it causing a loud hissing and volumes of white vapor to pour out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts