Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an owner of a 2001 honda civic ex, I still owe on this car, but have gotten an offer to trade it in for what it is worth and get an Element. I test drove the Element and loved it, loved the space and the versitility. WHAT SHOULD I DO!??!?? Should I trade in such a new car??? I've never dealt with this sittuation before considering that the civic was my first new car. Is there anyone out there who has had a civic and now has an E? ARE YOU HAPPY! Any thing anyone can tell me will be really helpful, I'm pulling out my hair! Should I wait until all the querks are worked out in the Element?

P.S. This website is fabulous!!! And everyone here is great. Thanks

Melissa

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mel, (may I call you Mel?)

I'd say talk it over with some people, and write down the numbers on paper. make sure you are factoring in the hidden costs of a new car, such as taxes, title, blah blah blah. even write down the reasons for possibly making this decision, sleep on it for a day or 2, then look back at what you wrote down.

anyways, my point is to avoid making a hasty decision, even one as juicy as picking up a new element. that being said, i love my e :) glad you like the community!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
If you are asking this group if you should buy an element, then you aready know that you will buy one. I don't think that anyone on this site would tell you not to.

That said. You will take a lose on your civic. But you take on lose on most cars that you sell. If you can clear you loan and not add to the element price by carrying a balance forward, then sure why not.

I had paid off my last truck a few month before buying the element. I had not planned to buy anything for a while. but I got a good trade and figured what the hell gotta have a truck might as well be a new one. Just make sure that you don't take too much of a lose (maybe sell private) and what ever you do don't finance the lose.

Just my thoughts. good luck with the decision.

·
Registered
957 Posts
So I'm a master of the obvious but...

You are asking a group of over 1600 people who (mostly) own Honda Elements if you should buy one too. Are you expecting that the majority of folks here are unhappy with thier Elements? :lol:

Just to be different I think I'll go with NO - don't buy the Element. I personally don't want Honda to sell that many so they'll be worth more someday. :wink:

Seriously, the car should speak for itself. If you like it, it fits your lifestyle, and you can afford it, then sure, go for it. If not, don't buy it I guess. :?

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
280 Posts
Biggest advice I can give is to not trade in your Civic. Sell it yourself. You'll get more for it than the dealer will give you and you'll have more for your E. But, if you are upside down on your loan (you owe more than your Civic is worth), then I'd suggest waiting until your not in that situtation. The E is brand new and itll be around if you wait a little while before getting one.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I think this is a question that must be answered by your bank account and NOT your primal thinking or heart.....while I totally love my E and would reccomend one to absolutely anyone, it has to be the right thing to do financially.

I know you said that this offer for your Civic is "for what it is worth"....so does that mean your car loan will be paid off? Will you have anything for down payment on an E? Or will you now have to come up with a down payment for your E?

These are some tough questions, but need to be asked, you do not want to overextend yourself financially, esp with a car payment that is going to haunt you for the next 3 to 7 years!

We traded in a 1993 Chevy that was paid for, had a hefty down payment, and got a very low interest rate....so it was the right time finacially for us to purchase a new car (we went in to get a Civic EX and walked our with an E ex)

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Melissa,

Two words: DO IT!

I was in your same position with a 2001 Civic EX. Fine car, but no comparison to the Element. I was offered kelly blue book + some $$ for my Civic which still had warranty left. I owed some still but had decent equity in it. I came out on the Element with almost the same payment.

You'll have to decide on the financing yourself, just don't worry about buying the Element. You'll love it.

Brad

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ditto Brad. Especially if this dealer is giving you a fair trade -- that is such a rarity. All this provided the E meets your aesthetic and budget. :)

I get mine -- I think Friday or Saturday! Whoo-hoo!

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts