Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CB antennas have to be mounted on a metal surface in order to work properly. I want to mount one, but I'm having a hard time deciding on a location. I don't want to go the magnet mount route. BTDT and it just messes up your paint job.

What I'm looking for is a good, fairly level metal surface that will allow me to mount a four foot (give or take) antenna on the vehicle. The only spot I can come up with is somewhere forward of the windsheild, to get the antenna low enough to allow me to go through te drive-thru at the bank. I don't want to mount one on the roof because that would stick up too high and it would be difficult to unscrew the mast.

Unfortunately, the center of the roof is the best place for reception.

I'm fresh out of ideas. Please help.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I have one of the glass mount cb antennas made by K40......it looks similar to an oldstyle cel antenna, just taller....... & yes, I am aware that the thru-glass antennas are not perfect reception antennas, but my cb radio has been tuned & peaked & the k40 came with a ground strap on the inside & I gotta tell you, this $25 antenna rivals my 4' fiberglass whips on my freightliner........

I'm very happy with it.... good luck.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I removed one of the plastic covers for roof rack mounting, got an L bracket, attached antenna mount to it, & then screwed it in with 6mm bolts. I'll try & post pics today.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed one of the plastic covers for roof rack mounting, got an L bracket, attached antenna mount to it, & then screwed it in with 6mm bolts. I'll try & post pics today.
I like this idea, no hole in the roof, no scratches from magnet mounts. :D

How did you run the cable into the vehicle?

·
Registered
242 Posts
You can run the cable thru your sunroof. I forgot to mention, my antenna mount is from a truckstop that was meant to clamp on a semi mirror. When I find a wifi spot for my laptop, I'll try posting pics.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I used to have a CB in my Grand Cherokee and I've been thinking of putting it in my E. I have a 4' Firestik antenna and I used a hood channel mount. Go and look on Firestik's website, you can check out the brackets they make to put your antenna where ever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts