Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 cylinder 2003 EX and I need more power. I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I just need some more horsepower.

What should I do?

Turbo? Better exhaust system?

·
Registered
229 Posts
power. I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I just need some more horsepower.

What should I do?

Turbo? Better exhaust system?
Turbo = 2 tons
exhaust system = 3/4 ton

Intake = very small increase $
Exhaust = very small increase $
Turbo = very large increase $$$$$$$$$$

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Modifying intake and/or exhaust has debatable results, maybe in the 5-10% area. Meaningful go-fast mods like forced induction is An Immensely Bad Idea on a 7-year-old drivetrain with 100,000+ miles. Something will break.

The most effective solution is to find another vehicle to get your power fix.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Modifying intake and/or exhaust has debatable results, maybe in the 5-10% area. Meaningful go-fast mods like forced induction is An Immensely Bad Idea on a 7-year-old drivetrain with 100,000+ miles. Something will break.

The most effective solution is to find another vehicle to get your power fix.
Agreed, for the cost of installing and maintaining (read fixing) a turbo or supercharger on your E you could easily go out and purchase a weekend toy. A used VW GTI, Audi TT, heck even an older Porsche Boxter can be had for $8-$10k which is about what you'll spend to soup up and keep fixing your E.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'd like to put our Odyssey's engine in the Element and call it good :shock:

I know, taking a great vehicle and making it even better by adding more power is tempting especially when others have done it. You can go as fast as your wallet allows. You'd also be paying for repairs, overhauls and the day to day drive-ability would be compromised. Would it really be an E anymore? Not to offend any E-rodders but why soup up a box? Take the money as others have said and invest in a vehicle built for speed. I had a turbo car in my younger days (Buick Grand National). It was very fast but you couldn't camp in it or haul stuff or drive in deep snow (maybe you could but I never did :)). Kind of the opposite dilemma. That being said, you can add a tad bit of horsepower by spending a tad (intake? exhaust?) Maybe I'm wrong, maybe an Element can be warmed up enough to put a smile on your face for a modest investment but I would read through the posts to found out if or how...

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,817 Posts
More horsepower for what? Ego, carrying, towing or racing? Each has a different solution. :lol:

Any substantial increase will cost $$$$, and will change the Element into something it was never designed to be. It would be simpler to find a different vehicle that more closely matches your desires.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,817 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
I no it's not a race car but I think my 07 E has plenty of power ( if driven properly:grin:). The K-24 likes to be in the higher RPM range but not in the red all the time. Iv had plenty of hi performance vehicles and no complants on my end..

·
Registered
512 Posts
Honda should have given the E the same engine as the Accord with 190 Hp... the E is a little on the anemic the horsepower with just 166 Hp. I added the CAI and cat-back exhaust and I think it is more fun to drive now then it was stock and if someone would make an ECU chip upgrade like every other car on the market. It wouldn't be far fetched to get it to 220-240 Hp with those upgrades. My wife's SAAB 93 could be bumbed from 225 Hp to 265 Hp just with the BSR chip add in a CAI and Cat-back and I could easily get 285 Hp. I don't see why more after market companies support the E. End of rant.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I get it!

I understand the point of having an existing vehicule that you enjoy and making it more enjoyable with mods. That is the origin of hot rods. It has nothing to do with what would be more feasable but just the act of improving an existing vehicule to your liking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts