Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Tuesday I took my 4 year old cavalier king charles spaniel to be groomed. I took him to a new groomer who uses all natural products, treats, and whatnot. Well when I brought him home he was acting funny, like he was really sleepy. I just thought that it was because he had been playing all day. Well now its two days later and he is still acting odd, he just lays around. He is eating and drinking normal and there is no bathroom problems. So I dont know what it could be, any advice or help would be great.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Could be unrelated, could be an allergic reaction to something the groomer fed him. Could also be the groomer slipped him a sedative (maybe overdoing it a little) to calm him down for grooming, and it's taking a long time to wear off. If everything else is normal, I'd keep an eye on him - and if no change in another few days, have a vet check him.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
The great news is that he's eating, drinking and pooping/peeing normally.

MKH makes an interesting point about a sedative, which the groomer should not be giving any dog. I'd call the groomer and tell them your pup is oddly lethargic and ask if they gave him anything. And ask if he was acting lethargic in their presence.

And if you think the problem is related to your groomer, get another groomer. No way I'd take Gidget back there.

If you're worried about him, take him into the vet at the earliest you can get an appointment! If the vet does bloodwork they may detect a sedative.

By the way, do you know if your groomer uses a hand-held dryer? Or a crate-dryer?

I'd never go to a groomer that dries dogs in crates -- it can be dangerous.

Best wishes to you both. I've known the terror of worrying about a pup and hope very much that he returns to normal ASAP, for your sake and his.

:)

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the help, Charlie seems to be doing better. Which makes me think that the groomer gave him something, so I def wont be going back there.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Sounds like the groomer gave a little to much sedative, hopefully it will all leave his system soon
Like HC said, its a good sign he is eating and peeing ok

See if you can find a groomer that will come to the house - thats as good as it gets

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well my problem is that the groomer didnt mention the use of a sedative, nor is my dog hyper/aggressive or unmanagable during grooming. So who knows....

·
Registered
219 Posts
I tend to think the allergic reaction theory is far more likely than a sedative. If the groomer is giving sedatives without the owner's permission, that would be a lawsuit waiting to happen. Certainly he could be that dumb, but I doubt he'll be around long if he is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts