Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I don't have an Element...yet!

I've seen the Elements around many times before. I thought they were kinda neat looking, but never thought about owning one. Well, last night I went to the Honda dealership just for fun. I sat inside an Element for the first time...I LOVED it. I've never sat in a car before and had the feeling I got when I sat behind the wheel of the Element. It was just so cool! I'm a 16 year old male, so i'm part of Honda's target-market too! I wanted to take one home so bad. BUT, I bought a brand new Saturn ION 3 months ago, and there is no way my parents would let me get a new car already :(

But I still have some hope, My mom is in the market for a small SUV, she has a minivan right now, and wants to downsize. She really likes the Saturn VUE, but I'm gonna do whatever I can to get her to buy an Element :D She said they were ugly at first, but the other day she saw one and said it was cute, and that they were growing on her. She is 48 years old...a little out of Honda's target-market...lol. Anyone here have any ideas on how I could convince her that this is a better car for her than the VUE...cause I think the Element is a lot more practical!

THX

·
Registered
129 Posts
[quote:db48a23d54="krg021"]She is 48 years old...a little out of Honda's target-market...lol. [/quote:db48a23d54]

Don't believe that for a minute. The customers are smarter than the marketing guys. I'm 47, and I picked mine up last night. (See the "Got mine!" thread in this forum.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[quote:4b50cb4ae4="eMass"]Give your mom the Vue and get the Element for yourself. :twisted:[/quote:4b50cb4ae4]

Well, I would, but I don't have a Vue, I have a Saturn Ion, and she doesn't want a car. And believe me, if she gets the Element, my Ion will be collecting a lot of dust...lol

I really should have shopped around more when I bought my car, but being an impulsive 16 year old, I just went with the first thing my parents agreed on.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Have a clear idea of why she wants the Vue, and then find out all the comptetitive reasons why the E is better. Having the info at a moment's notice helps.

Know what features she likes (auto or stick, bare bones or maxed out, 2-wheel drive vs.all-wheel drive, etc) and make sure your local Honda dealership has one around that matches her criteria.

In other words, be prepared keep focus on the goal!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Element is a 4 seater, right?

~That won't help the matter :? But I think she could deal with it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BUT, I just read that it comes standard with power windows and door locks even on the DX...is that right?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, I've been fooling around on the web all moring. I think she'd get the EX 2WD Auto with the side airbags

My dealer has one with that combo in Blue. I think she'd get the shoreline mist (my favorite also) but she could at least test drive the blue one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, are there any incentives right now? I know Saturn is offering some awesome deals, which is part of the reason the Vue caught her eye

·
Registered
88 Posts
[quote:a4c050a59f="krg021"]Also, are there any incentives right now? I know Saturn is offering some awesome deals, which is part of the reason the Vue caught her eye[/quote:a4c050a59f]

The E is selling as fast as they can be produced, so my bet is you won't find any incentives other than it's a Honda. Good work on your research also! The key to achieving a goal is planning!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well,

My mom went to look at the Element today, she wants one!

My main goal is accomplished...lol

Now we have to talk my dad into letting her get it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Tell your mom to read a few posts here on the EOC message board about how people are using their Elements.

Also tell her that although they did the 'target market' thing for dudes your age, that a lot of ladies my age (and her age) love this vehicle - a lot.

A test drive will convince her that it's fun to drive.

And it's possible that deep inside your 47 year old mom is a lady who rocked out in the 60s and 70s and she'll love that it's just unconventional, young, and fun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I have a problem now :evil:

We went to show my dad the Element tonight...he laughed at it and said that he would be embarrassed to have it in his garage!

He tried to talk my mom into a CR-V, telling her it was a much "higher quality" suv...it's the same damn thing basically :x

She didn't really care for it. so then we went to look at the Vue, my dad again tried to convince her it was a much better car than the Element, and told her she'd get sick of the Elements styling before long and blah blah blah :evil: Anyway she's kinda falling for his tactics. We're going to test drive both tommorrow so hopefully the Element will prove better...i'll keep you updated!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well, I'm a woman of your Mom's age, and I bet if she drives both on the same day (as I did), she'll go for the E! There is no comparison in my mind, and I went in prepared to prefer the Vue. I owned a Saturn for 9 years before my E.

The three largest differences IMHO are the Vue costs more, does not have as much pep as the E (by a mile!), and is a lot noisier. On the Vue's positive side, it does have the Saturn plastic side panels, which keeps Saturns looking good for years.

There are several threads in the forum comparing the two cars if you do a search for Saturn.

So, relax. I'll bet even your dad will be convinced if he drives the two cars.

Kristi

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
THX Kristi,

I definately hope so...I still won't be able to sleep tonight :(

·
Registered
156 Posts
Better yet, have her get the E and then trade her your Ion for it.

Or even better yet, trade in your Ion while it still has low miles and get an E for yourself!

As for Vue, I took one for a td, thought it was cheaply constructed -- chintzy dash, and about $3k more than it should be priced. Nice looking, though, and some nice features. I'll give GM some credit, they worked hard on it.

Good luck!
Steve

1 - 20 of 21 Posts