Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anybody who can help me source a set of headlights from Japan for my E?? :D

I am a Brit living in the US and when I go back to Blighty I will be taking my pride and joy with me (only a couple of E's in the UK).
Only thing is I could really do with some RHD lights from Japan to swap out the LHD ones that are currently in my E prior to going back home.

If there is anybody that can help, I would cover all costs, shipping etc and time and effort (grovel grovel). :oops:

Another question, do the Japanese E's have a rear fog light fitted? I have to fit one of these too. Thinking of using one of the reverse light bulb housings and fitting a red bulb, then wiring it up to the front fog switch, turn both on at the same time. Save having a tacky aftermarket light bolted to the bottom of the rear bumper.

Thanks in advance.

Beaker

·
Registered
369 Posts
Wow, I didn't know there's a difference in headlights, left hand drive vs right hand drive. what are the differences?

·
Banned
395 Posts
just make sure your socks go on the proper foot. nothing more irritating than having the left sock on the right foot; and vice-versa.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On older cars it was more obvious, you used to get formed areas in the glass headlamp of the car that directed the beam to the side of the road. As you drive in the US on the right and sit on the left of the car, the headlamps light would be directed more to the right as you drive along to cover the footpath, sorry sidewalk. In the UK as we drive on the left and sit on the right, the light is directed to the left.

With modern cars which have parabolic reflectors built into the light unit, it means that the glass front of the headlight is generally clear, flat glass. The light from the bulb is reflected back from the metal reflector that sits in front of the bulb back onto the parabolic reflector that then directs the light onto the desired area.

Some modern European cars have a switch / dial in the back of the headlight housing that lets you swap between LHD and RHD. This saves an awful lot in development costs when you sell the car in different markets and dont have to produce 2 sets of lights.

I used to be in the military stationed in Germany and when we bought new cars there, it was always par for the course that the dealer would leave a set of UK headlamps in the boot / trunk of the car ready for when you took the car back to the UK.

Another reason I want a Japanese set is for the UK we need a clear side light, not an amber one which doubles up as the indicator too. If I can get some it would save me having to take the ones I have apart and taking out the amber lens, fitting an amber bulb and then need to insert a new small white bulb to act as the side light. Oh and need to set up the side markers to work as indicators only and not a running light.

Hope that answers your question.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts