Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Element Owners,

I went ahead plasti dipped my plastic cladding. I did not like the look of the light grey on the orange Element. So here are some pictures. Sorry for the low quality it was done with a phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Xvoltm2. It was an 6 hours process. I am such a noob to plasti dip. I need to hone my skills.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Very nice!

My panels are painted, but I plan to Plasti-dip them (it really doesn't look like an E without the two-tone color scheme).

How did you cope with the fuel inlet cover door? First do the inside, and then the exterior as part of the panel? Or some other approach?

Thanks,
GreyDawg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice!

How did you cope with the fuel inlet cover door? First do the inside, and then the exterior as part of the panel? Or some other approach?
I sprayed the gas cap as it was. Then hit the inside of it with a can of plasti after the outside was dry. If you don't want to do it that way you can always take off the gas cap and tape what you don't want to get dip on.

This is almost exactly what I want to do to my 04 E! How much plasti dip did you use?
I bought a gallon of black plasti dip from dipyourcar.com. Sadly it wasn't enough I believe you would need 2 gallons of plasti dip to hit your plastic cladding. I put 5 coats on the bigger pieces. I had to use a can for the mirrors, and top/roof cladding.

Also, what kind of plasti dip did you use? Spray can, spray gun?
I just used regular black plasti dip from dipyourcar.com. I used a spray gun for most everything.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought a gallon of black plasti dip from dipyourcar.com. Sadly it wasn't enough I believe you would need 2 gallons of plasti dip to hit your plastic cladding. I put 5 coats on the bigger pieces. I had to use a can for the mirrors, and top/roof cladding.
I completely agree. A few months ago I dipped the entire E and used one gallon on the cladding but I should have used two. http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93729

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Also an important note:
Make sure you wash your Element the day before on a sunny day. Let it sit in the sun most of the day. If you have a air compressor then blow all the crevasses and gaps on the body. water and moisture loves to just sit there. When the next day comes its time to plasti dip the Element in a nice environment plus the weather needs to be good. It cannot be cold and it cannot be humid or have moisture in the air. I did mine on a 90 degree day. I did mine in the garage. I put a plastic trap on the floor. I was far enough away from the walls to not worry about over spray. I will tell you this you will get a lot of over spray.

If you fail to do any of this then the plasti dip will not adhere to the Element properly. and it will come off in a heart beat. Avoid touching and putting water on the Element right after the job is done. the Plasti dip needs time to cure. So if you put down 5 coats and let it cure for 2-3 days of driving then the plasti dip will be very tough and you can take it anywhere you want to clean after that. I have an 1800 PSI pressure washer and it does not rip off the plasti dip.

If it needs to be done I can do write up on this for Plasti Dipping. However if you just watch Fonzi's dipyourcar on youtube and you will be good to go. He makes it look very easy but the key is all in prep work.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not sure

How long do you expect the plasti dip coating to last ? Alot of poeple on here have fallen for instant gratification that plasti-dip offers as their plastic panels were grey(ing) for want of a better word. The plastic panels on the E were very expensive to produce. Its not the normal plastics that is used on most trims in modern cars. With proper cleaning and restoring the original finish can be achieved , which will not only look better but will outlast any coating from a spray can. bINF im not picking on you in particular but so many have fallen for this (fix) in a spray can, and i have know doubt that the finisihed results from your efforts are stunning ,but im also in know doubt that its going to be looking rather sad in short time , say a year or so.The weather and stonechips will beat the finish up and lets not get any scrapes or it will look like its an E thats been painted before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm so looking forward to doing this on mine. But the thing is... I have an 09 with painted panels and there's no good way to differentiate the two tone on the front quarter panels. There's a little dip in the panel that sort of marks where the old ones had the plastic so I was thinking about taping it off there, but I'm scared it will look bad. I guess I can always do the front and if I hate it I can peel it off!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
How long do you expect the plasti dip coating to last ? Alot of poeple on here have fallen for instant gratification that plasti-dip offers as their plastic panels were grey(ing) for want of a better word. The plastic panels on the E were very expensive to produce. Its not the normal plastics that is used on most trims in modern cars. With proper cleaning and restoring the original finish can be achieved , which will not only look better but will outlast any coating from a spray can. bINF im not picking on you in particular but so many have fallen for this (fix) in a spray can, and i have know doubt that the finisihed results from your efforts are stunning ,but im also in know doubt that its going to be looking rather sad in short time , say a year or so.The weather and stonechips will beat the finish up and lets not get any scrapes or it will look like its an E thats been painted before.
Hello Flanoman.

I don't feel that you are picking on me. You are bringing information to the public and all forms of feed back are good to give the consumer knowledge of what is best for him/her. One thing you should take note is my plastic cladding is in perfect condition for being a 2003. So I am not worried about restoring it. I plasti dipped because I did not like the color of grey on my SOP Element. So my alternative is to plasti dip it flat black. This gives me the look I want. Now for the lasting part. From my research and doing this before on a friends car. That I can say you are pretty much right about it not lasting a long time, however there are so many variables that determine that. If you follow directions on putting on 5 to 6 coats and let cure for a 2 to 3 days in the sun then you will have a pretty protected plasti dip vehicle that can last 2 to 3 years. Now that is in a perfect environment with no salted roads, no rocks being kicked up at your car and so on. Those things will at some point damage the plasti dip. You can repair those spots if you know what you're doing without taking off the whole plasti dip.

I also agree with you on people looking for a quick fix from this are going to be disappointed down the road at some point. This is a product that let's you change the color of your vehicle everyday/month/year for IMO a cheap price compared to painting a vehicle. Those people need to realize that plasti dip is a thing for looks and it's just that and nothing else and I am ok with that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm so looking forward to doing this on mine. But the thing is... I have an 09 with painted panels and there's no good way to differentiate the two tone on the front quarter panels. There's a little dip in the panel that sort of marks where the old ones had the plastic so I was thinking about taping it off there, but I'm scared it will look bad. I guess I can always do the front and if I hate it I can peel it off!
If your element looks like this one then you are lucky my friend you don't have a lot to plasti dip. I marked a white circle around the area I myself would plasti dip. Sorry for the poor quality it was done on my ipad.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
If your element looks like this one then you are lucky my friend you don't have a lot to plasti dip. I marked a white circle around the area I myself would plasti dip. Sorry for the poor quality it was done on my ipad.
oh, nah I was wanting to make it look like the old plastic cladding. so I was thinking of doing the back quarter panel but I didn't realize that there weren't separate pieces on mine like the old one in the front. so it's taking a backseat for now until I can figure out how to tape off the front in a way I like.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I thought about that, but I did not like the 2 tone look that it presented. Plus I love the SOP color a lot. Nice graffiti work.
Yea but you did a good job on the other work, should be to hard to paint the plastic panels, get some 2k primer, get the exact color from a paint shop in aerosol form and some rustoleum clear enamel with sand paper. Shouldn't be more then $200 to do the whole car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea but you did a good job on the other work, should be to hard to paint the plastic panels, get some 2k primer, get the exact color from a paint shop in aerosol form and some rustoleum clear enamel with sand paper. Shouldn't be more then $200 to do the whole car.
If I were to actually paint the Element Cladding then I would remove every piece and sand it down and hit it with a flat black paint from a spray gun. I really don't like Can sprays. Not constant enough compared to the gun.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts