Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reading Empire's post on this forum about using "black magic" to die my faded grey roof panels of my '05, I tried it. A chain reaction began, and as I got braver, my E got blacker.

I sprayed all plastic below the windows with Krylon Fusion, any thing above was Black magic die.

The wheels are 18" Internet blow-outs I got for about $250 for the set. Sanded down and applied several coats of Satin black spray paint, then a rattle canned clearcoat.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz269/impedicus/honda01b.jpg

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
That looks real nice, big difference. Did you use adhesion promoter 1st so the paint will stay on the plastic?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I really like it, haven't been brave enough to do it myself with exception of the front bumper.

Did you mask it all off or remove the panels to paint them?

I'm curious to see how they look long term, or I guess you can just spray another coat:)

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
191 Posts
Looking awesome!!!

I was way excited to see this post because I will be doing this same project this week. Krylon fusion and all!

I believe it was asked earlier in this thread, but did you use adhesion promoter? Did you run in to any problems with uneven coating? Any of the usual painting issues?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really like it, haven't been brave enough to do it myself with exception of the front bumper.

Did you mask it all off or remove the panels to paint them?

I'm curious to see how they look long term, or I guess you can just spray another coat:)
I removed the upper and lower grill first and painted them with the Krylon. I did that about 6 months ago and it held up so well, I decided to go for the gusto. I masked the entire car over a weekend and applied several thin coats of the Krylon.

Ill post some better pics as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking awesome!!!

I was way excited to see this post because I will be doing this same project this week. Krylon fusion and all!

I believe it was asked earlier in this thread, but did you use adhesion promoter? Did you run in to any problems with uneven coating? Any of the usual painting issues?
Thanks guys!
I read about Empire's Krylon painting on this forum a couple years back and he says it still holds up pretty well. I also used this paint on a motorcycle plastic fenders and it did great considering. I did the grills about 6 months ago and they held up so well, i decided to do the rest. I did not know about the adhesion promoter. (Dough!!)

However, what I like about it is because it is a satin finish, you can do panel touch ups without showing spotting.

This is certainly not a substitute for a real paint job, but for a $40 solution to the fading grey panels that I had, I am totally happy with it.

I will post some better pictures and update after a few months of city/dirt road driving.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Currently north of Baltimore. Haven't met any EOC members here yet. How bout you?
my dad lives in baltimore still and i grew up in ocean city before moving to fl about 10 years ago.

·
Registered
191 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts