Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright, I have to admit this has been bugging me since I 1st read about the scratch capable plastic panels on the Element. I went to my local Honda dealer today and performed a few tests on my own.
I did notice that the EX did have panels that were metallic, these panels seemed to stand up much better than the "basic" panels.
Yes' they both scratched after running my finger nail on them, but you know what, nothing Major and hardly noticable!
I feel that if a good protectant is applied, the scratches would be very hard to pick up and would also protect the panels in the long run. This is not as serious as we all thought!!!
I was so impressed with the E that I will put a deposit down in the next few days!!
Looking for a Black 4WD EX, can anyone share with me what price can be had here in Southern Cal??? :?:
I was disturbed to say the least when I noticed that my local dealer was charging $1,200 for the side steps, $900 for the roof rack and $199 for wheels locks, WHAT A RIP OFF!!
Will be searching for the best price over the weekend,, again,, it's time to put the plastic panel issue to rest, it is basically a non-issue to me now!!!
See yah,
Dave. :p

·
Registered
249 Posts
BigWaveDave,

Congrats! Glad to hear your gonna be one of us now. 8) I'm not sure if you already mentioned it, but did you take it for a test drive. Because if you did you WILL absolutely love the Element.
As for putting the scratching issue to rest. Lets not put it sleep.
It still is an issue, and Honda In my opinion could have made those fenders tougher.
So lets take a wait and see attitude!

·
Registered
608 Posts
BigWaveDave,

Welcome to the darkside. :wink:

I agree, we should just not let a problem be. If the panels are not made up to the standards that they are claimed to be, and should be.

·
Registered
50 Posts
BigWaveDave,

Got my black DX 4WD at Honda Cars of Corona for $20,400 with the roof rack and bug gard. Availabilty for nil so we had to wait a week for it. We were going to get a Blue EX 2wd but they could not give us any idea of when or if it would come so we opted for the DX.

I am glad that I got the the Black/DX combo as I am going to put some aftermarket rims and stereo (already in the works) on/in myself. I fugured I was going to pay for them anyway so I might as well get something that was different.

I have not experienced any scratching and I think a good protectant (which should be used anyway) would take care of any that would show up. I am sure that if there is a real issue that Honda will step up and take care of it (they are only plastic anyway!!!)

Black DX 4WD
(Rims and a kick-butt stereo coming soon!!!)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Those panels could be and should be more durable.

It's not rocket science. Honda will change that material at some point in the future.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Man......I am so tired of people saying: "After all, their plastic anyway!!!"
I don't know how my car will look in a year from now, but let me add all plastic is not the same.
You have so many different strengths of plastic.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Lexan scratches real easy.

We have lexan lenses on some of our buildings outside lights. They need to be replaced every 6 months or so.

The glass lenses we never have to replace. Now I am not saying lets make our panels out of glass. :!:

Lexan makes a great bullet proof glass however. :wink:

Has anyone thought of a kevlar car? It would be great for some areas here in NY :lol:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I changed my comparison about plastics "lexan"...
Bad choice in comparisons! I was just making a point that not all plastic is the same. Nah, I don't think it would be a good idea to clad the car in Lexan. :shock: :?
Then the panels would be worst than they already are.

You right, Kevlar wouldn't be bad. :wink: :D

·
Registered
894 Posts
And people who drive in glass houses shouldn't throw stones?

:lol:

Iskie

·
Registered
80 Posts
we had a bunch of snow in n.y. an a knocked a piece of ice off of the front of my car and its all scratched now. im not a picky person nor do i spend too much time cleaning my cars. but this crappy ass plastic is so fragile. its like its styrene plastic from a model kit. so far im not impressed with the "great "so called perfect honda cars. unreal

·
Registered
338 Posts
These Panels do not live up to Honda's own advertising - "Durable, scratch-resistant panels."

Plastic comes in many different formulas. It's overly simplistic to say - it's plastic, therefore it scratches. No, some plastics are very durable and some are very scratch resistant, unlike these junk panels that Honda will be forced to modify at some point in the future.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Heh-heh, fooling with you. A comparison was being made from Lexan to glass. That is how glass stands up to scratches but Lexan doesn't. So if you don't want to drive a Lexan covered vehicle, you wouldn't want a glass vehicle either. :D

"People who drive glass vehicles shouldn't throw stones" is a bad pun on "People who lives in glass houses shouldn'y throw stones".

:lol:

Iskie

·
Registered
249 Posts
You know I did get it after I reread RML's post. I'm kinda slow tonight.

I thought the pun was funny. Hey, we all can't be Sheckie Green. :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cost on the side steps is @$195.00 lug locks are maguard adn cost @$25 for the set. whenever car shopping always look around and the laast day of the month is usally your best chance to sell.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts