Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well maybe....OK I often get these odd thoughts of what "if's", and one of those what ifs was...maybe I could try and put vegetable oil on the plastic panels. Great idea at first. Everything looked nice and shiney and darker too which was great, It even lasted 4 days of rain. So today I went to go check on the panels to see how well it was holding up so I could brag to all the EOC members that I had found this great idea for panels.....unfortunately I was mistaken. It is now a sticky fly tape trap. So my question is how do I get it off...dont laugh this could have been a great idea and cheap. Anyway back to the drawing board. Thanks ALL!!!

·
Registered
599 Posts
I don't want to encourage anyone to try this but if the idea of putting oil on your panels sounds like a good idea, you might want to try food grade mineral oil instead of an organic oil like vegetable. Mineral oil is thinner, more penetrative and doesn't go rancid from heat/sunlight so chances are it might not go sticky on you.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have a better suggestion for you....Aerospace 303. It is a all plastic, vinyl protectant that works great. It's normally for RV's and boats but it works on the panels and it does a great job. I got mine at Ace Hardware but I'm sure you can get it at any automotive store.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Alcohol may do the trick. Dishwasher soap may just run over the oil, but I guess it's worth a shot either way.
I agree with the first part, but disagree with the second....:lol:

If my panels looked like "a sticky fly tape trap" I would definitely resort to alcohol....:rolleyes:

And then tomorrow I would use what is used in (almost) every kitchen to clean plastic containers with vegetable oil on them....hot water and a good grease cutting dish soap (like Dawn)..

Good luck

·
Registered
200 Posts
panels

303 rocks the black panels for long time..

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I agree with using alcohol for removing it too. Although I would use a 50/50 mix of water an alcohol in a clean spray bottle.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I'd test in an inconspicious place before using alcohol. On some plastics alcohol will dry them out and turn them white. Dawn dishwashing liquid in warm water will work. it's what they use to clean oil off of ducks and other wildlife that get caught in coastal oil spills. Gentle, but dissolves and removes the petrochemicals.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I'd test in an inconspicious place before using alcohol. On some plastics alcohol will dry them out and turn them white. Dawn dishwashing liquid in warm water will work. it's what they use to clean oil off of ducks and other wildlife that get caught in coastal oil spills. Gentle, but dissolves and removes the petrochemicals.
I've personally used a 50/50 mix of water and alcohol on my panels to remove various protectants and it worked great. I would stick with that mix and not use straight alcohol. Of course after cleaning your panels with that mix,or anything else you will definitely need to apply a protectant of some sort.:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Simple Green :hippie: protect Mother Earth

·
Registered
89 Posts
Beside being concerned about what alcohol might do to the plastic panels, I don't think that it will take off grease/oil. Alcohol is a sanitizer and a solvent - but not for grease. I agree with the Dawn detergent people - and they suggest Dawn because it particularly good against grease.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
All good idea's for sure... I'm in the Dishwashing liquid camp.... But, I would suggest you do something ASAP !!!!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dawn Liquid for the oil, water rinse well, finish up with 303 Aerospace Protectant. Don't mess with alcohol or go off on DIY chemicals, this is plastic, and plastic is easily damaged, and must be UV protected after the clean-up.

HalfaHum

1 - 17 of 17 Posts