Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am young and want me E to be a little bit louder. I am not talking stereo system wise, more along the lines of the motor or exhaust. I have a K&N SRI and that makes it a little bit louder, but what would be the next step? Adding a full exhaust system is expensive ($500 at least is what it seems like), but what about just a muffler? I want it to be deep and throaty, but no drone at highway speeds. Is there any other way to get a little more growl out of the E?

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
The drone that you're talking about usually comes from mufflers that are too short. I had a 14" long muffler about 5 years ago and the drone was horrible. Then I switched to one that was 21" long, the drone went away. So keep that in mind as you look for your muffler set up.

Chief

·
Registered
617 Posts
I am young and want me E to be a little bit louder. I am not talking stereo system wise, more along the lines of the motor or exhaust. I have a K&N SRI and that makes it a little bit louder, but what would be the next step? Adding a full exhaust system is expensive ($500 at least is what it seems like), but what about just a muffler? I want it to be deep and throaty, but no drone at highway speeds. Is there any other way to get a little more growl out of the E?
ahhh....just do what we use to do in the late 80's early 90's....go straight pipe with a Megs 16" VW Bug exhaust tip. lol

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
It's illegal. Check the CVC re. modified exhausts. I understand that the Governator/CHP has fallen in love with the extra revenue from enforcing equipment violations.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha trust me the local PD around here has been extremely ticket happy lately to boost revenue for the state. I see people getting pulled over every single day I drive to work now. I may be acquiring an exhaust this weekend, but not an illegal straight pipe one.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
haha trust me the local PD around here has been extremely ticket happy lately to boost revenue for the state. I see people getting pulled over every single day I drive to work now. I may be acquiring an exhaust this weekend, but not an illegal straight pipe one.
You are mistaken. Read the California Vehicle Code. You may not modify your exhaust to make it louder. Doesn't have to be a straight pipe - just louder.

Don't be playing games with stuff that will earn you a ticket, especially now that the fines are so high out there for seemingly trivial equipment issues. We had a moderator here get his license suspended over jacking around with the CHP over equipment issues, and that was before they started being bada$$es about it to make money. It cost him thousands of dollars in lawyers to get it smoothed-over, and that was only enough to drive to work.

As you said at the start, you're "young". That's coming across a little bit here, youknowwhatImean?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are mistaken. Read the California Vehicle Code. You may not modify your exhaust to make it louder. Doesn't have to be a straight pipe - just louder.

Don't be playing games with stuff that will earn you a ticket, especially now that the fines are so high out there for seemingly trivial equipment issues. We had a moderator here get his license suspended over jacking around with the CHP over equipment issues, and that was before they started being bada$$es about it to make money. It cost him thousands of dollars in lawyers to get it smoothed-over, and that was only enough to drive to work.

As you said at the start, you're "young". That's coming across a little bit here, youknowwhatImean?
whoa whoa dude. I am just looking to put a flowmaster 40 series exhaust on my Element with a resonator. I am not getting some crazy exhaust system that is going to be super lound.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
351 Posts
I do love the double standard that you can put a complete system on your car that runs slightly loud (at WOT) and get a monster $$$ ticket, however the jackass on his straight pipe harley that wakes up kids two towns over is "okay" because it comes that way stock.

Someone needs to sue harley davidson for being "above the law".....

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
I do love the double standard that you can put a complete system on your car that runs slightly loud (at WOT) and get a monster $$$ ticket, however the jackass on his straight pipe harley that wakes up kids two towns over is "okay" because it comes that way stock.

Someone needs to sue harley davidson for being "above the law".....
Well, actually... that Harley factory nonsense is going to turn into a big PITA for everyone. Somebody, somewhere, will try to stop that crap - which is unreasonable, and obnoxious, and is just asking to be controlled - by passing laws about maximum sound pressure measured in some unit (dBA, for example) at so many feet. Despite the "do-gooder" objectives, everyone will be forced to meet this standard and it will become another regulatory burden that will somehow jump in the way of something desirable, i.e., the law of unintended consequences. :x

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The people I usually see getting exhaust tickets in my area are Bro Trucks (The super lifted gas guzzlers) and rice rockets with fart cans. I have never seen nor heard of anyone who upgrades their SUV's exhaust, muscle cars, motor cycles, etc getting tickets. I'm willing to take the "risk" of upgrading my exhaust considering it wont be excessively loud and I feel the E is not a high profile vehicle.

Overall speeding tickets, window tint, cell phone, and expired tags are the biggest in my area by far.

·
Registered
730 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Are you Bubb Rubb? Whoo Whoo!
He is a former EOC Member from several years ago; and still holds the distinction of being one of the very few members to be banned from the forum.

Chief

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Holy remixes!

Is that really Booggerg, though? I know he used the avatar, but so did Ger Brassfield.

I am 95% sure that's him because he was out of Oakland, and the vernacular totally matches!

Chief

1 - 20 of 35 Posts